Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Aug 20, 2016, 10:39 AM
    Dehumidifier doesn't draw water and humidity setting won't stay set.
    My GE dehumidifier model #ADER65LPQ1 is 3 years old and has worked fine until this week. The bucket doesn't collect water and when I try to set a different humidity % it holds for a second and then goes to 95%. The air filter is clean, as is the rest of the unit. The basement temperature is 59 degrees and the instructions say the unit will operate if the room is over 41 degrees. I've shut it off for 15 minutes or longer and started it up again with the same result. Any suggestions about what's going on?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2016, 12:43 PM
    It sounds to me like the compressor is not starting. Without that, you won't get any humidity removed.

In my experience a dehumidifier lasts 3-4 years. If you're lucky the problem might be the capacitor--a $20 part if you can do the work yourself, significantly more if you have a professional fix it. If it is not that and is something in the refrigeration system, might as well get a new dehumidifier.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Aug 21, 2016, 02:04 PM
    I did some searching for parts with no luck and just ordered a new dehumidifier a little while ago. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2016, 06:08 PM
    It sounds like it's so dirty it's tripping the safety. Clean it and check the fans. You will need coil cleaner and a good water hose nozzle to wash it out. Dirt makes them fail after 3 years or so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Heater Burner Won't Stay Lit... Sometimes Doesn't Light at All [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a natural gas electronic ignition water heater (no pilot light for me to light). There is a big sticker on the hot water heater that says "RUUD" but the manual stuck to the side of it says it is a "PowerVent" Residential Gas Water Heater. Anyway, I woke up this morning and there was no...

Gas heat doesn't stay up to thermostat setting [ 1 Answers ]

Heat goes 5 degrees below thermostat settings - new thermostat- didn't.t help

How to fix a dehumidifier that won't collect water? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi -- My 2 year old dehumidifier has stopped collecting water and reducing the humidity. I opened it up and: 1) the filter is clean 2) the coils are clean 3) everything is clean 4) the fan works 5) the motor is humming along nicely. BUT, none of the copper piping is getting cold EXCEPT for...

How Do I Set the Hot and Cold Water Setting on My Shower Valve? [ 2 Answers ]

I have installed a new handle on my shower at home. However, when I turn the handle to the left - the water is cold. When I turn the handle to the right - the water is hot. I have a Moen shower system. Can anyone help me so that the hot water is activated by turning to the left and the cold...

GFI won't stay set [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a 1700 sgft house. When the gfi in the upstairs bathroom pops,I loose all my out lets in my basement. Seems funny to me that my basement outlets are not connected to my basement bathroom gfi.So I was wondering if this is too much for the one gfi. Seven years ago when I bought this house...

View more questions Search