Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hippiefeet Posts: 60, Reputation: 4

Aug 19, 2016, 01:09 PM
    F350 Automatic Transmission 4R100/E40D
    I was hauling a camper with a 1997 F350 Diesel. After an hour of driving the O/D light began to flash and the transmission began to slip as it forced fluid out the dipstick tube and breather hole. I lost maybe 1 quart while driving. The trans has gradually gotten worse with light driving, difficulty going into Reverse or Drive. The trans is 4R100 type 4speed automatic.
    Any ideas on what may have malfunctioned?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2016, 01:23 PM
    It's 20 years old, hauling a camper. Time for a rebuild I would guess.

Aug 19, 2016, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    It's 20 years old, hauling a camper. Time for a rebuild I would guess.
    Thanks for the suggestion. To bad Ford didn't build the trans as good as that 7.3L!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2016, 07:01 PM
    It's possible nothing serious is really wrong. The ATF may simply be boiling over, due to the summer heat and load--a common problem in Texas. If you don't have a supplemental transmission cooler, I would install one. I would also drop and clean the pan, install a new transmission filter, and refill with full synthetic ATF meeting the Mercon V specification. Full synthetic ATF has a higher coefficient of heat, allowing the transmission to run cooler, shift better, and last longer. After refilling the transmission, move the shift lever through each gear (PRNDL), pausing several seconds in each gear. Check fluid level when the transmission is at normal operating temperature and in Park.

Sep 24, 2016, 09:24 AM
    Thanks! in fact, it was running much warmer than I expected. Ill give it a try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Automatic Transmission shifts [ 1 Answers ]

Ford: Automatic transmission shifts 1,3 OD,No 2nd gear

Generic Automatic Transmission [ 1 Answers ]

Generally, does the AT fluid go through the torque converter before or after it reaches the cooler? Thanks

Automatic Transmission Slipps [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have Ford Falcon EL 1997 model. There is switch Economy Mode and Performance mode. When I put the switch in Eco mode, the transmission slipps. But when I put it into the Performance mode, It works OK. So What could be the problem? Electronic, Mechanical or Solenoide, Computer?? Thanks

Automatic Transmission Slips [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi, I have Ford Falcon EL 1997 model and my automatic transmission slipps. Did service twice, but no luck. What could be the problem?

Shifting an Automatic Transmission [ 3 Answers ]

My buddy has a 1999 Chevy Cavalier. It is a 4 speed automatic. He likes to pretend it is a 4 speed Manual. So he throws it into 1 gear and then he does burnouts and stuff like that in it. He will then let off the gas pedal shift to 2 gear and slam on the throttle. It shifts and does fine. Well one...

View more questions Search