Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JimKen57 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2016, 10:47 AM
    Raid 61 vs. Raid 10?
    I have four TeraStation data blades that are currently set to Raid 61. Each has 4 disk drives (3TB each). They are empty/new. I have two older data blades - again, 4 disk drives (3TB each). One data blade is used for storage, the other is for backup. I need to transfer the data from the two older blades to the four new data blades. Is there any significant benefit from changing the new blades from Raid 61 to Raid 10 BEFORE transferring data from old to new?
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2016, 04:50 PM
    It really depends on the load required for these servers.

RAID 6 is a redundant set of hard disks that utilize double parity and striping. This allows for two simultaneous failures of hard disks without data loss. Disks may be replaced and will rebuild the RAID array without interruption of service. RAID 61 is a set of mirrored versions of RAID 6 drives allowing for 4 simultaneous failures. The striping allows for a great performance boost while double parity is actually a bit of a drain on the system, especially during a rebuild. The parity of the disks greatly increases read/write time due to the data being chopped up for parity redundancy.

RAID 10 has a better performance option, while using less disks for the build. It however only allows for a single disk failure at any given time without data loss. Rebuild has virtually no impact on performance. Its design contains 2 sets of mirrored drives in a RAID 1 configuration, coupled by as RAID 0 strips. It reads and writes from both RAID 1 arrays different sections of the same data chunk, doubling read/write speeds.

RAID 6 and 61 both have performance increases over a RAID 1 configuration, but RAID 0 is faster and faster for each additional stripe.

Migrating from RAID 61 to 10 could be a very tedious and time consuming matter. I'd advise to make a choice prior to data migration, as it can cause significant down time after the fact. It would be possible to run your active server as a RAID 10 array for speed, while running a RAID 6 array on your backup for reliability.

Note: The second image for RAID 6 is slightly inaccurate... generally a RAID 6 array has 4 drives, while a RAID 61 array has 8.
    JimKen57 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2016, 05:22 AM
    Very helpful. I did choose to utilize Raid 61. I like the dual drive failure, yet still working, option. It was slow transferring data, but I'm never in a big hurry here. Your reply is appreciated.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2016, 09:46 AM
    Cheers!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot run RAID and Non-RAID HD at the same time. [ 1 Answers ]

My current system was running on 2 X 320GB SATA RAID 0, I would like to add 1 more Harddisk to backup my files, how to do that? Is it possible to run RAID and Non-RAID (normal SATA single drive) at the same time? help. Thanks. ekang

Raid 5 [ 1 Answers ]

How to make raid 5 in win2003

Software RAID configuration is helpful compared to hardware RAID in any of the cases? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Software RAID configuration (Dynamic Disk) is helpful compared to hardware RAID in any of the cases? I haven't seen Software RAID until now. Just wanted to know the pros and cons regarding this. Thanks in advance, Vathsa

View more questions Search