Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    O_Troubles Posts: 313, Reputation: 20

Aug 11, 2016, 07:13 AM
    What's going on with my lawn
    I got new sod maybe about a month ago I've only cut it once and the top of the grass was all green but underneath is brown! I really don't want this grass to die it cost a lot to get it in. What can I do to get this grass happy!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 11, 2016, 09:17 AM
    Cut it ? Did you talk to the sod company before ? Often it needs to grow for some time prior to cutting.

Also how is the watering ? Feeding ? Of the grass, is it being done regularly ?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2016, 10:29 AM
    What type of sod? Bermuda typically only green in the top 1/2"
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2016, 12:13 PM
    Was it rolled out when installed, what it watered according to schedule?

Aug 12, 2016, 07:03 AM
    I'm not sure what kind of grass I watered it a lot every day for two weeks after that it rained a lot for the next two weeks then I cut it. Is one month not long enough to to wait to cut the grass? What do you mean by Fred the grass
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 12, 2016, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by O_Troubles View Post
    I'm not sure what kind of grass I watered it a lot every day for two weeks after that it rained a lot for the next two weeks then I cut it. Is one month not long enough to to wait to cut the grass? What do you mean by Fred the grass
    Not Fred, FEED the grass. Did you fertilize the grass ?

Aug 12, 2016, 01:06 PM
    Feed* sorry I was doing a talk to text haha.

I found out it was Kentucky Blue Peat Sod and I have not fertilized it at all
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 12, 2016, 02:22 PM
    I'm in a similar boat - I planted my own grass in May, it grew beautifully, and I think I let it grow too long after the first mowing. All brown underneath, and it didn't recover. Plus it has been very very hot here.

Sod has more variables. The roots have to 'take' to the soil underneath, which must be worked loose, and the sod well tamped down so the roots can grab. Otherwise air pockets dry out and it dies.
    But I think you did wait too long to mow, if you waited a month. Sorry. Try scattering seed over it and watering every day again.

Aug 14, 2016, 11:29 PM
    I tried a bit of fertilizer if it helps I'll keep up on it and I'll wait to more it again too. My mower cuts too short I'll try raising it too and watching the yard to make sure it's not too wet or dry. My home depot didn't sell a ph testing kit or I would have done that tooAttachment 48430Attachment 48430
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 15, 2016, 03:55 AM
    You don't mention if it was tamped down (rolled) or not to make it adhere, nor if you hired someone or installed it yourself.
    Fertilizer isn't going to help if it's dead.

Aug 15, 2016, 03:57 PM
    I installed it myself, I rolled it down, it's not brown all over and dead or dried out. It's just a brown tinge close to the base of the sod and green tips.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 15, 2016, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by O_Troubles View Post
    I installed it myself, I rolled it down, it's not brown all over and dead or dried out. It's just a brown tinge close to the base of the sod and green tips.
    Needs to be errated. I used to walk all over my lawn in golf shoes. Either that or rent a roller with picks on it.
    Cks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn chief riding lawn mower forward and reverse [ 4 Answers ]

The lawn mower will not go forward or reverse, What should I check to fix this problem?

Lawn and garden lawn mowers honda 3011 [ 2 Answers ]

I Have A Honda 3011 Riding Mower. The Battery Is Charged And When I Engage The Transmission, The Warning Beep Sounds Loudly. When I Turn The Key To Start, There Is No Sound And No Cranking. Any Suggestions To Cure Will Be Appreciated. Thanks.

Lawn Chief riding lawn mower [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is some kind of online manual or diagram showing how to put together different areas of a lawn chief riding mower? We have an older model we're fixing up... just wondering if there's any display or step-by-step instructions w/ pictures online... thanks! Nicole

Lawn chief lawn mower rider looking for fuse [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lawn chief riding lawn mower where is the fuse located?

View more questions Search