Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ambie2489 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2016, 05:59 PM
    Shoulder pain after appendectomy?
    I had an appendectomy about a week and a half ago, the first couple days I had pain in my right shoulder the paper work said it was normal to have. But yesterday the pain returned. Is this normal? Should I see a doctor about this?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 9, 2016, 06:27 PM
    Open appendectomy or laparoscopic? It's pretty normal since they fill your abdominal cavity with air (well gas really), so you need to be up moving around to pass that gas. Simethicone can help ease the pain.
    DrFeelBadMD Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2016, 07:10 PM
    Agreed with J_9. Shoulder pains are very common post laparoscopic surgery due to the CO2 filling the abdominal cavity, and when you wake up, the gas will go up, to the shoulders. Walk around, pass the gas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain over chest from shoulder to shoulder [ 1 Answers ]

I had this feeling twice now in 3 months so it's not that often. It hurts though. Sitting at work behind my desk and suddenly a pain starts in my shoulder and travels, feels like a line, over my chest to my other shoulder. Didn't do anything weird or sat in a weird position. The pain stays for...

Appendix pain after appendectomy? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I had my appendix removed in February of this year, had a infection after surgery but otherwise since then have been in good health. (Im 21) Today I have been suffering with pain in the same place I was getting my appendicitis pain before its removal, its been affecting how I walk etc just...

Shoulder pain, wrist numbness, shooting pain in leg [ 1 Answers ]

I have been experiencing dull aching left shoulder pain ( heart is OK... been checked out). My left wrist is numb to touch. I was having left hand weakness and some trembling but that seems to have subsided. I have sporadic shooting pain down left leg, groin aches. All of this comes and goes.

Right shoulder pain [ 0 Answers ]

I have right shoulder pain bp 108/62 no protein in urine. I had strep a few days ago and a cold now. Is there anything I should be worried about. The pain is a dull tender ache.

Shoulder PAIN [ 1 Answers ]

I've had a pain in my shoulder for about 8 months now. I went to bed one night push my body up to the pillow and my shoulder popped now it's had a burning pain ever sense. If I move my arm behind me and up it hurts any ideas. No I haven't been to the doctor yet.

View more questions Search