Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daniigirl Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2016, 04:44 PM
    Car hit by shopping cart in parking lot
    Rather unique situation *heavy sarcasm*, but the other day my car was hit by a shopping cart in the home Depot parking lot. The cart had left a rather large and very noticeable dent on my car. I was sitting in my car when the incident occurred. An employee was out doing a cart run, evidently lost control of a cart and it came crashing into my car. The employee chased after it in an attempt to grab the cart before it hit my, but with no luck.

I have reported the incident to the store manager who filed a claim. Spike with The Home Depot's insurance company today.

My question is, has anyone dealt with an issue like this where an employee was at fault for damage caused to a customers car? The damage to my car will probably be upwards of a thousand dollars to fix and I'm concerned that this company is going to brush me off and claim they aren't liable or required to fix the damage.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 8, 2016, 04:45 PM
    Did you report it to your insurance agent?

Aug 8, 2016, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Did you report it to your insurance agent?
    I have not filed a claim with my insurance as of yet. Should I? I was waiting to hear back from their insurance company before I did anything.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 8, 2016, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by daniigirl View Post
    I have not filed a claim with my insurance as of yet. Should I? I was waiting to hear back from their insurance company before I did anything.
    Yes! Be sure to report this to your insurance company. That's why you have them. An adjuster will be assigned to the claim, will gather the "facts of the accident," and will wheel and deal with HD's insurance company/adjuster to repair your damage. If subrogation is needed, your adjuster will take care of getting that done in your favor.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 8, 2016, 06:02 PM
    Report it to your company. They could make the repairs then file a sibrogation claim against Home Depot's insurance company.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 8, 2016, 06:09 PM
    ... My question is, has anyone dealt with an issue like this where an employee was at fault for damage caused to a customers car? The damage to my car will probably be upwards of a thousand dollars to fix and I'm concerned that this company is going to brush me off and claim they aren't liable or required to fix the damage.

If their employee was negligent, and it appears that he or she was, Home Depot is definitely responsible, if that's what you are getting at.

Aug 8, 2016, 10:58 PM
    I've received some conflicting advice. A family member of mine works for an insurance company and has advised me not to file a claim just yet, to wait and see how the other insurance company responds and then go from there. At this point the other insurance company has told me they are investigating the incident and should get back to me within the week or early next week. I think what I am afraid of having happen if I file a claim and my insurance company picks up the tab for the damage (maybe they then pursue reimbursement from T.H.D, maybe not), it then dinging my insurance and it resulting in me paying more monthly for something I wasn't at fault for.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2016, 04:49 AM
    Many insurers require you to report incidents fairly soon after they happen. They know memories of the event change or fade and they become harder to investigate.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 9, 2016, 05:53 AM
    I agree with the others - most policies REQUIRE that you report all incidents within a week or ten days, so don't delay. Since this is clearly not your fault your rates will not go up. You should also get a repair estimate. Your insurance company probably has a list of "preferred" body shops, which if you use can avoid you getting into arguments over what specific repairs are required and what they should cost. And as WonderGirl noted your company will be your advocate if/when negotiations start. For example, even if Home Depot admits fault they are likely to argue that the repairs should be less expensive than the estimate you get - your insurance company knows how to respond to nonsense like that. One other thing - take lots of pictures of the damage while it is still fresh.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 9, 2016, 12:33 PM
    Do NOT file a claim against your company, DO report it to them. If Home Depot's carrier refuses the claim at least the incident is on record.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2016, 04:30 PM
    I wlll go with Scott, Report it to your insurance company, if you have full coverage insurance (collision).. If you have only liability, then there is no need. Since it is not a covered action

Do not file a claim, wait for Home Depo to pay.

This is a tort issue, due to the negligence actions of the worker, not just a cart blowing in the wind. There should be no issue of getting paid, as you said it happened

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Damage in Parking Lot by Shopping Cart [ 8 Answers ]

I went for shopping to Wal-****. I was inside Wal-**** when the incident took place. After shopping, I saw that the shopping cart hit the rear of my car and damaged rear bumper cover. I talked to store manager and was confirmed from the parking lot video that the Wal-**** shopping cart hit and...

I hit one car in the parking lot when I am reversing my car [ 6 Answers ]

The other car got some scratches at bumper and tail light got damgaed only so my question is that does it affect my pubilc record and what type of point will I get,does it required any police report for claims?

Car was hit by another car when reversed from the parking lot [ 19 Answers ]

My car was parked on one-side of parking lot with one-way aisle. When I reversed my car to the middle of the aisle, I stopped there as I found a car from the parking lot behind my car rapidly reversed and hit on my car. My car was damaged with a deep dent and caused problem with the light-signal...

Shopping cart hit someone's car [ 17 Answers ]

My Mother returned an empty shopping cart to the store front, and the cart started rolling because of high winds and hit someone's car door. Now she wants me or my Mom to pay for it. I didn't see this whole thing because I was already in my car. My Mother doesn't speak much English, and she...

Can I call in a police report for car hit in work parking lot months later? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My car was hit in work parking lot. Person who hit my car left a note. I called him and one of the guys from work took car to fix it. Guy fixing car was also working on engine. When I got the car back the dent in front fender had been pulled out, but, looked like crap. So now it is like 6...

View more questions Search