Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2016, 12:03 PM
    What is the difference between a loan term and loan amortization period?
    What is the difference between a loan term and loan amortization period? Looking at both the definitions, they seem the same to me.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 7, 2016, 01:24 PM
    For loans that amortize (such a conventional mortgage) the amortization period is usually the same as the term period of the loan. But it's possible to structure a loan with no amortization at all - e.g. an interest-only loan, which may have term of, say 10 years but no amortization period. At the end of the ten years you have to pay the principal off all at once.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2016, 02:29 PM
    Ditto.
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2016, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    For loans that amortize (such a conventional mortgage) the amortization period is usually the same as the term period of the loan. But it's possible to structure a loan with no amortization at all - e.g. an interest-only loan, which may have term of, say 10 years but no amortization period. At the end of the ten years you have to pay the principal off all at once.
    So without amortization, you just pay interest?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 8, 2016, 05:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Farber View Post
    So without amortization, you just pay interest?
    Maybe, maybe not. Depending on the conditions of the loan you may be able to pay off some principle early, thus lowering your interest payments for the remainder of the loan term as well as the lump sum due at the end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Loan amortization [ 0 Answers ]

It takes longer than eight years to retire a $24,000 loan at 8% if the annual payment is $3,000

Problems in loan amortization [ 0 Answers ]

Bank loan with attached warrants BBS can borrow a four-year loan for the full amount of $20 million from New Territory Bank. The interest rate for this loan is 9% p.a. and the firm is required to pay $6,100,000 end-of-year payments over the next four years. In addition to the annual...

Term loan Reimbursement [ 1 Answers ]

I have availed term loan from my bank . Before the sanction of the loan ,I purchased the machinery with my money. Now the bank will reimburse me the money spent to purchase the machinery. What are the journal entries for the transaction?

View more questions Search