Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MR SHIP Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Beta fish tank problems
    We Have two make betas in one tank yes they are in different sides we also have two other betas in two other tanks the tank with the two betas is cloudy and smells like cat urine? THE other tanks are fine any ideas?? :confused:
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2007, 08:46 PM
    Are the tanks like beta bowls or are they filtered aquariums?

From your description I would suspect that you are smelling ammonia.
    Fish waste and old food decay which creates ammonia (which is also a very powerful oder in cat urine). This pollution clouds the water.

For an unfiltered Beta bowl,
    Reduce the amount of food you feed each day, clean the bowl and replace the foul water with fresh clean water.

If it is a filtered aquarium,
    1) reduce the amount of food you feed each day
    2) do a 50% water change on the first and second day - if you are able to smell the ammonia, a large water change is required in order to dilute the toxins.
    3) If the ammonia smell is gone, it will be time to allow the tank to establish the nitrogen cycle. This is done by leaving everything alone and letting nature take it's coarse.
    This process also sometimes clouds the water due to beneficial bacterial blooms.
    (If you'd like more information on this I'd be happy to provide it for you.)

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kae
    MR SHIP Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 09:18 PM
    It Is A Filtered Tank We Will Try The 50% Water Change Thanks
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2007, 10:08 PM
    Your welcome
    If you have any further questions or concerns, I'm here to help.

Kae
    rune_expert29 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Apr 14, 2007, 10:14 PM
    You probebly have too many plants or houses in the fish tank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

High PH in fish tank [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 20 gal freshwater aquarium. I can't seem to keep my fish alive, other than 2 white clouds. My PH level is very high. I have used PH- drops for a month now and it is still high. I asked my aquarium shop and they told me to take the sea shells out of it, that they will raise the PH. They...

Film on top of beta tank [ 4 Answers ]

I have some sort of film on top of my 1 gal. beta tank. I clean his tank regularly using only clean glass bowls. No soap, just hot water. Tank has a lid. Any ideas of what it could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Cloudy fish tank [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my fish tank 2 days ago I feed them very little in the morn. And very little at night... I use bottled water that they gave me at the store with the fish... yesterday morning the tank was cloudy I can't even see half of the fish only when they come to the front... what seemd to...

Beta fish sick [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Buddah3, my office mate of 3 years, is sick. He had "pop eye" in one eye so I moved him into a new bowl and used mardel trisulfa - his "pop eye" went away. But he has not eaten since (3 weeks or so). He was hungery but could not get food in his mouth. It was as if he needed glasses...

Beta Fish [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I got Beta just like this one, 1 week ago, his a cute little Beta Fish! I would like to know what kind of water does he need, for his little aquarium, for the moment I but at W-Mart a gallon of drinking water is that good? I would like to know, Any comments? OK here is my Beta Fish!

View more questions Search