Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bluemorn1ng Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2016, 04:46 PM
    Journal prompt by our 9th grader- sufficient?
    This is a journal prompt I had my son do this summer. I want to know if he's where he should be. He is entering the 9th grade. I will type this exactly as he's written it.

If I Had Ten Minions
    If I got ten minions for a weak I would be really excited. Just because minions are probably the best friends you could ever get I mean they'll do a lot for you like build a roctcet, make you desert, or build you a house. Minions are just like dogs but with 2 legs and 2 arms like a human. If I were to get minions for one week I wouldn't have them build anything but I would go to every country possible with them and just concrate havig es in doing awesome like
    Flying to diving in the ocean. Then I would want to go to The main contonents that I'm most interested about like Europe and maybe Asia. Most likely Europe just because I really want to see how different everything is from there to America. So I would want to go with them not only because they would be good friends
    But because I'm pretty sure they could get me to really anywhere I would want to go. Whenever we get to go to these countrys and do the fun things that they have in store I wouldn't really even be afraid of what people think just because that would make it that much more interesting. So That is what I would do if I had minions for one week.

Ask me help desk automatically corrected the spelling errors
    Bluemorn1ng Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2016, 04:53 PM
    Week was spelled w e a k
    Rocket- r o c t c t e t
    Continents- c of n t o n e n t s
    Countries- c o u n t r y s
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2016, 04:58 PM
    I've been a school teacher/principal for 32 years, just to give a little background. I think he did a fairly good job with the content. His use of grammar, however, leaves a lot to be desired, but he probably looked at it as a simple journal assignment for just the two of you to read. For that reason, I would think that was not his best work. Still, if I had even a sixth grader hand that in to me, I would be concerned if I thought that was his/her best effort.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 31, 2016, 06:26 PM
    Circle his errors and give the journal back and tell him to correct his mistakes, rewrite, and resubmit it to you. Leave him notes about paragraphs and grammar.

He could have done better, and will if you have clear instruction.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 31, 2016, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Circle his errors and give the journal back and tell him to correct his mistakes, rewrite, and resubmit it to you. Leave him notes about paragraphs and grammar.

He could have done better, and will if you have clear instruction.
    And sentence structure and punctuation and capitalization.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2016, 06:32 PM
    If I got ten minions for a weak I would be really excited. Just because minions are probably the best friends you could ever get I mean they'll do a lot for you like build a roctcet, make you desert, or build you a house. Minions are just like dogs but with 2 legs and 2 arms like a human. If I were to get minions for one week I wouldn't have them build anything but I would go to every country possible with them and just concrate havig es in doing awesome like
    Circling the errors on that would be an undertaking.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 2, 2016, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Circling the errors on that would be an undertaking.
    Take one bite at a time. First, spelling....
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2016, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Take one bite at a time. First, spelling....
    I would think his spelling is a problem but not his biggest problem. He is really struggling with how to write a coherent sentence, and if this is truly his best work, then for a ninth grader, he's in big trouble. I still suspect this is a product designed to get mom's assignment done in as rapid and painless a manner as possible. At least, for his sake, I hope that is the case.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 2, 2016, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I would think his spelling is a problem but not his biggest problem. He is really struggling with how to write a coherent sentence, and if this is truly his best work, then for a ninth grader, he's in big trouble. I still suspect this is a product designed to get mom's assignment done in as rapid and painless a manner as possible. At least, for his sake, I hope that is the case.
    He misspelled words he should know by now. Get those fixed first. Then sentences (read it out loud). Then punctuation. Then grammar. Inch by inch, step by step.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 2, 2016, 07:55 PM
    As a veteran teacher, I'd say this is written at 5th grade level, at best. Spelling is an issue, along with grammatical and punctuation errors. My concern is whether there was any effort on making corrections, or why this was not written in paragraph form. I'd definitely purchase a writing book to help your child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a 7th Grader date a 8th Grader? [ 5 Answers ]

There is this Girl in the 8th Grade who I really like and I'm in the 7th Grade. I really want to ask her out but I don't know if the Grade Difference matters. She is Short and Plump and has long brown hair. I'm skinny and I'm slightly taller than her. Should I ask her out or does the Grade...

I'm a 7th grader but I want to date a 6th grader [ 11 Answers ]

Ok so she's in the 6th and I'm in the 7th and I want t go out with her but I don't really know much about her all I know is that she tends to be around her friends she's kind of short compared to me and she's a little fat like maybe 130 or 140 pounds and I'm also 5'2 and I'm a skinny guy so that's...

So, I knew this guy in my cross country team. He's an 8th grader and I'm a 7th grader [ 1 Answers ]

So, I knew this guy in my cross country team. He's an 8th grader and I'm a 7th grader. I know, a year difference. He always seems to stare at me all the time whenever we're stretching , running or even jogging. Like he stare at me 24/7. One time, we have picture day, and I was not wearing my...

Can anyone help a 9th grader with algebra? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you set up this story problem? Elijah sold 25 cds and dvds. He made 4 dollars off every cd and lost 1 dollar off every dvd. He made 25 dollars total. How many of each did he sell?

Redmon Company uses a sales journal, a purchases journal, a cash receipts journal, a [ 1 Answers ]

Redmon Company uses a sales journal, a purchases journal, a cash receipts journal, a cash disbursements Journal, and a general journal. The following transactions occur in the month of June. June 1 Purchased $8,100 of merchandise on credit from Vick, Inc. terms n30. 8 Sold merchandise costing...

View more questions Search