Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Jul 30, 2016, 04:24 PM
    Bathroom Exhaust Fan..
    Just picked up a Bathroom Exhaust Fan from Costco.. Automatic Sensor Control, Select Dial, Override Switch.. Two Part Question (1) With the Control, could I not tap into an existing GFI Wall Plug? (2) Wife wants to Install Fan in the Ceiling directly over the Tub / Shower.. Tub is a large step up into style, 24" high sides, 60" L X 42" W, 94" from floor to ceiling... The Exhaust Pipe will run just under 6' straight up out through the roof. Thoughts Appreciated, Cheers Thanks
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 30, 2016, 07:18 PM
    Why directly over the tub? It's not like this will prevent steam from getting into the room anyway.

I could never understand the logic of putting a bath fan over a tub or shower.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2016, 07:22 PM
    I put mine in the center of the bathroom. You generate far more humidity and steam than even an oversized unit can suck out.

Unless cash is super tight... you may want to reconsider one of those newer low noise units. I plan on replacing mine at some point with them because damn... are the ones I have now loud.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 31, 2016, 05:03 AM
    (1) With the Control, could I not tap into an existing GFI Wall Plug?
    Should be able to do that if you use the non-GFI load terminals.

The Exhaust Pipe will run just under 6' straight up out through the roof
    If possible I would go to a roof soffit. Be easier to do and less chance you will create a roof leak.

Jul 31, 2016, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Should be able to do that if you use the non-GFI load terminals.
    If possible I would go to a roof soffit. Be easier to do and less chance you will create a roof leak.
    Non-GFI... Lesson the chance of Tripping the Breaker (?? )

Management is pointing above the Shower, I'm leaning to an Exit point that is kind of centralized.. While steam would be the greater, Fumes can sometimes linger... lol...
    Yes I to am concerned of a possible leak, and going through the Sofit would be a shorter distance to Outside.. My concern on that is possible blow back (?? )
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 31, 2016, 06:01 AM
    Suggestion: Before you put the fixture above the shower, make very sure that the fixture is listed for a wet location. If it is not, than regardless of management instructions, the fixture cannot be placed in the shower.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 31, 2016, 06:30 AM
    Pretty much every bath fan I have ever seen was able to be installed over a tub or shower. The only stipulation is the instructions usually demand the unit be GFCI protected.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 31, 2016, 06:54 AM
    My concern on that is possible blow back (?? )
    What does that mean? The fan exhaust will have the little valve, door, flapper, or whatever you want to call it, to prevent or limit outside air from entering the room.

Personally I think the concept of placing the fan directly over the tub is not the best location. Purpose of fan is to remove the warm, moist air which accumulates evenly at the ceiling. Therefore the best location is in the center of the room. If anything I would locate it close to or above mirrors. Hopefully that would help reduce the fogging of mirrors.

Aug 1, 2016, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    What does that mean? The fan exhaust will have the little valve, door, flapper, or whatever you want to call it, to prevent or limit outside air from entering the room.
    Personally I think the concept of placing the fan directly over the tub is not the best location. Purpose of fan is to remove the warm, moist air which accumulates evenly at the ceiling. Therefore the best location is in the center of the room. If anything I would locate it close to or above mirrors. Hopefully that would help reduce the fogging of mirrors.
    (1) True Vent Cap will have a Trap Door Flapper... lol... The thought was the Exhaust coming back through the Soffit is all.. The Plan is to cut the vent hole to come out at the outer edge of the Soffit..

(2) Regardless of the location for the Exhaust Fan, it will only be just under 6' to the Soffit... One of those wonders you find left behind from a previous owner, 2 Ceiling Light Fixtures with bases that hug the ceiling.. Both are kind of centralized, MY PLAN is to remove the least effective one and put the Bathroom Exhaust Fan in it's Place... lol...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 2, 2016, 05:31 AM
    I don't mind being a pest about exhaust fans. I'm against them anywhere! Every one I've ever had or seen let out too much heat in winter, despite a stupid little flap, or facing down in a soffit. Last house and this one, huge icicles outside bathroom that then dripped fast. I put in a window (still needs trim etc after 2 years but that's OK).
    I went around my house finding where icicles were and sure enough, they were in spots where heat was getting out. Even locking the door helped. I now have none. I shower with the door open and make guests do so too. They can shut it as soon as they hop out. Most of the moisture goes out into the house and some goes to the window, open in summer and closed in winter. Not so much it will rot around the edges (window is vinyl).
    I have plenty of solutions for my kitchen too. Of course the dumbest one of all is letting dryer heat out in winter, but I don't use a dryer anymore anyway.

Aug 2, 2016, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I don't mind being a pest about exhaust fans. I'm against them anywhere! Every one I've ever had or seen let out too much heat in winter, despite a stupid little flap, or facing down in a soffit. Last house and this one, huge icicles outside bathroom that then dripped fast. I put in a window (still needs trim etc after 2 years but that's OK).
    I went around my house finding where icicles were and sure enough, they were in spots where heat was getting out. Even locking the door helped. I now have none. I shower with the door open and make guests do so too. They can shut it as soon as they hop out. Most of the moisture goes out into the house and some goes to the window, open in summer and closed in winter. Not so much it will rot around the edges (window is vinyl).
    I have plenty of solutions for my kitchen too. Of course the dumbest one of all is letting dryer heat out in winter, but I don't use a dryer anymore anyway.

Condensation was a Big Issue, we've always kept a towel rolled up laying across the window ledge during the Winter Months.. Purchased a DeHumidifier which is doing a superb job drawing the dampness out of the air... This House was built around the time R2000 was the Theme keeping everything somewhat Air Tight... lol... In our Quest to Eliminate Condensation Pooling on a Basement Bedroom a few months back.. Flooting Floor, discovered Previous Owner / Whomever had laid the Underlayment wrong side down (Can You Believe it , Right on the Silverside in Black Lettering stamped every 6' it said "This Side Up". We installed a New Flooting Floor with the Correct side up this time... lol..

The Exhaust Fan will be coming out in a Protected Area , no Direct Contact from Rain, Wind, or Sleet... lol..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Exhaust Fan [ 4 Answers ]

I am replacing an exhaust fan/motor & a light with just a new exhaust fan/motor. I want to hardwire the new motor (2 black wires) to the house wiring (one each red, white, black, & ground wires).

Bathroom exhaust fan ? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I vent my bathroom exhaust fan on the side of my house? Can it be near or under a window or door peer code?

Bathroom exhaust fan [ 1 Answers ]

I had a bathroom exhaust fan installed by a handyman. This bathroom has not previously had a fan. It was a top of the line fan, but it doesn't work properly. The bathroom is very foggy after a shower. The handyman tried another fan, but same problem. He brought in a "ventilation expert" to assess...

Bathroom exhaust fan [ 5 Answers ]

I just replaced the bathroom exhaust fan motor assembly which is the fan motor, squirrel cage, and mounting plate. I did this because the fan is about 25 years old. The bathroom is only 36 square feet with 8 foot ceiling and the new fan motor is rated at 100 cfm. The thing is that the fan does not...

Exhaust fan in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I am wiring a new bath and would like to know if code requires an Exhaust fan in bathroom.

View more questions Search