Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eranzenbach Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2016, 10:21 AM
    Arduino and home built capacitor sensors
    I am attempting to measure fluid levels in a chamber. To do this I have constructed a water-tight cylindrical capacitor sensor. The electrodes are copper strips applied to the outside of the cylinder. I have then covered the outside of the cylinder in a water-proof coating. The fluid fills the cylinder sensor as the fluid level rises. The electrodes are being discharged through a 1 megaohm resistor and I am using an arduino controller to charge and measure the capacitance using a pre-supplied library call. The device seems to work. I have run tests repeatedly using the same temperature fluid. As the fluid level in the chamber rises, so does the capacitor readings. As the fluid level falls, the readings fall. The problem is that there is so much variance in the readings that I cannot accurately tell the fluid level. I typically strobe (i.e. call the routine that charges and measures the discharge rates) the capacitor 200 times. According to the software package, there is no signal averaging by doing this, it just returns a cumulative value of how long it takes to discharge for the given number of attempts (in my case, 200). I also thought averaging the readings might help, so I am calling the routine that provides the measurement for 200 strobes 100 times and averaging the 100 readings.
    I need to determine the fluid levels within about 10 cm3. Is there something that I can do to the circuit electrically that will stabilize it more and provide more consistent readings? Thanks.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 1, 2016, 08:46 AM
    Your theory seems sound,so I have to wonder if perhaps the variability is due to inconsistencies in how the capacitor is charged and the accuracy of timing the discharge. For example, prior to each run do you short the plates of the capacitor so that you always start with zero charge? Do the plates always charge to the same starting voltage? And how do you measure discharge time - is there a particular voltage value that you measure the time for? How accurate is the timing device?
    eranzenbach Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2016, 06:22 PM
    The charging and measuring is being done via an Arduino controller. The software package I use is a standard Arduino library. I simply specify what pins on the controller are to be charged and read and the call to capacitiveSensorRaw does the rests. I would assume that they ground the plates before each read. According to the library description, the plates are charged, then discharged and an internal counter is returned that gives the relative time of discharge. I have collected the one of the plates to a 1 megaohm resistor. I have just purchased a small commercial capacitor which I'll substitute for my "sensors" and am about to begin using that to see if the Arduino gives me readings within the tolerances of the capacitor. I appreciate the answer and I'll let you know what I discover.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

a parallel plate capacitor is built with an area of 1.4m^2, a plate separation of a p [ 0 Answers ]

a parallel plate capacitor is built with an area of 1.4m^2, a plate separation of 0.1mm and has measured capacitance of 750nF. Determine the dielectric constant of the dielectric used to build this capacitor?

My home was not built to code--what can I do? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in MA and had a new home built 7 years ago the first year it started to have problems. Sewer froze, garage flooded, over time floors cracked, spaces behind counters, decks are falling down the list goes on... was told excuse after excuse in the beginning, settling, winter to cold, too much...

Purchased home not built to code. [ 5 Answers ]

We purchased our home in Aug 2007. We had a home inspection performed and no major issues were found, so we purchased the home. Then in the Spring of 08, the city began local city sewer and water in our area. As a result of the high vibrations, we began to notice that the living room addition began...

Old Plumbing in SC home built in 1952 [ 1 Answers ]

Firstly, thanks for the string of comments about FL homes. I am a "D- - - Yankee" that just bought an older home in SC and am not used to homes without basements. After using drain cleaning products in kitchen and bath sinks, I called in a plumber. He advised me that the galvanized pipes in both...

View more questions Search