Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mark1012 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2016, 07:02 PM
    Child abandonment
    We were abandoned by our mother since 1986 up to present just wan't to know if we as legal children has the legal right to file a case against our mother for her abandoning as for 30 years I'm already 35 years old as of now. She (our mother) now is living w/ her new family based in London England. She is married to our father who passed away last 7 years ago.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 27, 2016, 07:04 PM
    No, there is no legal case.

First abandonment is normally a civil issue, and only non payment of support is criminal.

But on the civil side, it is the person who had legal custody, who has the claim, not the child. And even there, any SOL has long passed.

Jul 27, 2016, 07:12 PM
    Does she has any liabilities to us as her children for abandoning us for 30 long years. Leting us suffer all pains of becoming poor we didn't even finish our study in college bucause of selfihness. She is living in wealth w/ her new family while we are suffering on everything. thank you
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 27, 2016, 07:59 PM
    She has no liabilities to you. Now, if your legal guardians had a child support agreement, she would be liable to them, and them only. Not you.

Jul 27, 2016, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    She has no liabilities to you. Now, if your legal guardians had a child support agreement, she would be liable to them, and them only. Not you.

Thank you
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 27, 2016, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Exactly what I was going to say.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about owing $100K in child support and child abandonment [ 4 Answers ]

Good afternoon, In July of 2007, I gave birth to a little girl and although her father and I were no longer together, we decided to add his name onto the birth certificate so he could assume all legal/financial responsibilities. For about the first 2 months, he would see her and provide her...

Can I file child abandonment warrant? My exhusband hasn't paid 5 months child support [ 2 Answers ]

It's been five months and he now owes $9,000 and refuses to pay. I filed a contempt of court order paperwork and the law has made four attempts to serve him but was unsuccessful. What can I do next? Can I file a child abandonment warrant or just file another contempt of court paperwork again until...

An a mother who leaves her child with its father be arrested for child abandonment? [ 2 Answers ]

Can a mother who leaves her child with its father be arrested for child abandonment??

Should I File for Child Abandonment or Continue to Wait for my Child Support Hearing? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old child out of wedlock and I broke up with his father since September 2008. He was abusive and I had him arrested. After he got out of jail, I allowed him to still see our child. We agreed that he would pay the child support without the courts being involved. Well of course that...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search