Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjh234 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2016, 05:57 PM
    Rains effect on New Concrete Sidewalks
    Hello,

My contractor starting pouring my job yesterday and it rained shortly after they finished smoothing and edging it out. Today it looks sandy in several areas and dark spots in others. There is also some brush marks that just look strange. I am concerned it has affected the integrity of the concrete. Any thoughts on the photos? Should I make them re-do the pour? Thanks. Name:  IMG_4478.JPG
Views: 812
Size:  810.3 KBName:  IMG_4479.JPG
Views: 426
Size:  973.4 KBName:  IMG_4481.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  531.0 KB
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 27, 2016, 06:00 PM
    We had a similar situation. The sidewalk got more and more pitted over the next months. It was finally redone six months later. Yes, repour.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 27, 2016, 06:48 PM
    I agree with Wondergirl. Definitely repour. The damage done usually isn't visible for months after. Better to repour now and save yourself the hassle.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 27, 2016, 06:54 PM
    The integrity has been destroyed. Inroads have been created. Rain and maybe freezing/thawing and general wear and tear as people walk on it will wear it down.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 28, 2016, 06:31 PM
    I bet that contractor is going to have another solution. The rain damaged the surface but not the strength of the walkway. He is also going to say it was partially your job to cover it if it was not raining when he left the job.
    cjh234 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2016, 07:38 PM
    Appreciate everyone's responses. The contractor said the same thing about the surface only damage and strength being intact. He said he can fix it with some sort of overlay, called Palmers glue, and it will all look brush finished in the end. He did not try to claim it was my fault to not cover it. I just hope the glue is a sufficient enough fix to keep it falling apart slowly. Any thoughts on that? Or should I make him wreck the whole thing and start over? He also offered to stain it for free if I wanted to add some color, but I think this was instead of the glue stuff.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 28, 2016, 07:40 PM
    I would ask him to give you a written warranty of durability for at least 5 years.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2016, 10:09 AM
    Definitely need a warranty in writing.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making Pavers for Sidewalks. What About Different Colorants to Use? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, All! Would like to make my own pavers for around my yard. Forms and concrete aren't a problem. Already have one plastic form for rectangular ones. Can make any other forms that I might need or want. But, what about the colorants to use? The ones available seem to be really expensive,...

What Kind of Cement is Most Often Used to Make Floors, Sidewalks, Stairs, Etc. [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, All! There wasn't enough room for my whole title, so I had to shorten it a bit. Okay. I'd like to start making some things that I'll manufacture out of cement. These things might include floors, sidewalks, stairs, paving bricks as well as maybe seats, and lawn ornaments. I'm looking...

How does burning fossil fuels effect the greenhouse effect [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering how all this works ?

Total effect + income effect = Substitution effect? [ 1 Answers ]

In intermediate economics we are told that Total Effect = Income effect + Substitution effect but in advance level this relation is changed to Total effect+income effect = substitution effect why is that? Please explain with logic

It never rains, it pours! [ 24 Answers ]

Hi All, Forgive me if I am a little all over the place but to say yesterday was a bad day is a gross understatement. It was horrible and my emotions are still a little messed. Hope this isn't too long but here goes. I woke to the news yesterday morning that my Pop (mums dad) had been taken...

View more questions Search