Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anthonyvaladez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2016, 11:53 PM
    How to start a charity ?
    I was wondering if anybody knows what I need to do step by step to create a charity organization? And what are some good ideas on what the charity should be donating to? Please help
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 27, 2016, 02:26 AM
    You just cant 'create' a charity out of thin air, or on a whim. Licensing issues have to be in place. Otherwise it would be viewed as fraudulent and a federal offence.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2016, 06:00 AM
    As tickle mentioned... its nowhere near as easy as just deciding to do it.

Hire an experienced lawyer who can guide you through all the legal requirements. Miss just ONE requirement and you are no longer a legal charity.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 27, 2016, 08:13 AM
    Start with the causes that you care about and learn the old fashion way, get INVOLVED by doing the work of a charity. Once you take that first step as a volunteer, the rest will come.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2016, 06:56 PM
    A charity basically takes money from a donor and gives it away as a non profit. Where are you going to get seed money? Where are you going to get money to live? Unfortunately people are skeptical of charities and non profits when, for example, the administrative costs are high(read-salaries) Here is an example:

"American Tract SocietyAdministrative expenses: 68.0%
    Topping the list of America's worst charities is an organization that spent more than $1.6 million dollars on its administrative expenses in 2007, over twice what it spent the previous year. The American Tract Society, based in Texas, distributes religious literature to spread its message around the world. With a history of low ratings from Charity Navigator, the group's administrative expenses have consistently outpaced the amount of donations coming in".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Charity help? [ 4 Answers ]

Few years ago and now I want to keep the money. It doesn't mean as much anymore and I did work my butt off making everything to sell. What should I do? Am I a terrible person?

Charity Help [ 20 Answers ]

I want to host a special party where my friends and I can do craft projects to make dog chew toys, cat blankets, earwarmers, and scarves to donate to charity(ies). I was wondering if anyone knew of a good charity that would accept these donations (in the middle Georgia area)?

Fundraiser and charity [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know on how coul I do my own fundraiser and charity on the hunger and the poor?:od

Charity name [ 4 Answers ]

Which charity can I write to get help with finance help for low paid family, need to buy furnitures and a holiday and help with getting central heating installed

View more questions Search