Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pjoshua1983 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2016, 01:28 PM
    Daughter meeting father for the first time
    My 8 year old will be meeting her bio dad for first time. Where should this take place?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 25, 2016, 03:51 PM
    There is no should. I personally think 8 is old enough to be part of this decision. You discuss it with her, you discuss it with him, you make the actual decision.
    I would pick a nice outdoor cafe in mid afternoon.
    There you are semi-surrounded by the safe feeling of other people and she doesn't have to show too much interaction that she might not be ready for the first time.
    And you can all get up and leave easily, without even waiting for a bill.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 25, 2016, 07:09 PM
    I would also add, if you and the father have issues, you and he are not the issues of meeting. So at times having a 3rd party do the meeting is best. If there are going to be personal issues involved.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 26, 2016, 05:47 AM
    Have you and the bio father had any contact or interaction in those eight years? What was the relationship like before and during those 8 years? All these are important things to consider when/how you bring them together as well as the most crucial factors being what you have told her, and how she feels about her bio dad, and this meeting.

Does she have a dad figure in her life already? Does she even understand what a BIO dad is? If you don't know her feeling you better ask. I also suggest you go slow and don't overwhelm your daughter with adult expectations from either you OR her bio dad.

I cannot imagine she hasn't had many questions about this before unless the existence of this bio dude has been kept from her for a very long time already, and if that's the case, err in the TOTAL interest of your daughter as to where and how they do meet. I guess it comes down to how well you have prepared her for this moment in her life, mom, and how well YOU are prepared for it also.

More background info may be needed besides the answers to my questions so, back to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meeting my 12 year old daughter for the first time. [ 10 Answers ]

I haven't seen my daughter since she was a year and a half old. What do I say and how do I go about it. I've missed seeing her so much. Especially since I have another daughter with another woman and watching her grow up has made me miss my first one more and more each day. I want to make things...

Meeting our biological daughter for the 1st time [ 4 Answers ]

Im a married man with 3 wonderful children; 11yo daughter, 10yo son and 2.5yo baby son living in Asia. I met my wife in 1993 and we dated since during our academic time in Australia. In 1994 my girlfriend (my current wife) was pregnant and we had the baby daughter left in foster family for...

How do I have my daughter meet her father for the first time? [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter has never met her father. He was not there when she was born. My son, however, met him when we first dated-he was three at the time and so I doubt he remembers him. He is now 11 and my daughter is 7. So my problem is two fold. My son has no contact with his father who was...

Meeting my 15 year old daughter for the first time [ 6 Answers ]

I am metting my daughter for the first time,and she is fifthteen years old. First of all I'm not a deadbeat dad. I was in the Marine Corps. and her mother and I had a relationship. She was in the military as well and when she got out,I went to Okinawa Japan. I knew she was pregnant and she and I...

Meeting my 12 year old daughter for the first time. [ 2 Answers ]

I haven't seen my daughter since she was a year and a half old. What do I say and how do I go about it. I've missed seeing her so much. Especially since I have another daughter with another woman and watching her grow up has made me miss my first one more and more each day. I want to make things...

View more questions Search