Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ken23xy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2016, 12:32 PM
    Is there a common law marriage in North Dakota
    My common law husband died in feb. he left me the house if I survive him by six months. Then the house becomes mine. Who is responsible for the mortgage in the six month waiting period me or his estate
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 25, 2016, 01:18 PM
    Was this information on the 6 month waiting period part of a will? Does the will give further instructions ?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2016, 01:59 PM
    No common law in ND.
    North Dakota Common Law Marriage - Labor Law Talk Blog
    One way or the other you better keep the mortgage current. Otherwise you may lose it under foreclosure. Read his will, what does it say? Who is the executor?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 25, 2016, 03:46 PM
    A WILL comes first.
    The LAWS of North Dakota come second.
    Without a will and without benefit of marriage, you could lose the house to his blood relatives under 'intestate' laws.

If there is a will, the will needs to be probated, during which time any bank accounts he has are used by the bank to pay bills, including the mortgage.
    You (or anyone) can apply to the probate court to be executor.
    Between the funeral director and the bank, all these questions can be answered.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 1, 2016, 10:11 AM
    I assume there must be a will, given the 6-moth time period requirement. Until the house becomes yours the estate is responsible for paying ongoing expenses of the estate's assets, such as the mortgage and taxes on the house. But as others have noted, in the mean time it's definitely in your best interest to make sure that the executor of the estate is keeping up with these payments.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 1, 2016, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    No common law in ND. ...
    Apparently not (No common law marriage). But it's probably neither here nor there, assuming that OP was left the property by will.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Family Law/Common Law Marriage [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is currently living with a woman and her two children. He bought and had placed on her property a mobile home with the intent of living there alone. While he was at work, she along with her children moved into the home. He has been cohabiting with her and supporting them her for a year...

Is adultery against the law in North Dakota [ 2 Answers ]

Is it against the law in North Dakota to commit adultery... what is the penalty... does it have to be a spouse that complains

Common Law Marriage [ 1 Answers ]

I have been tolorating a woman living in my home for thirteen years.she is becoming more violent and mentaly abusing every day.I have stayed with her for the sake of her two kids wich are now sixteen and seventeen .she refuses to get professinal help because she does not believe she has a...

Common law marriage [ 4 Answers ]

My common law husband of several years is fixing to get deplyed to iraq. We live in Texas where common law marriage is lawfull. I was wanting to know if the military will accept a declaration of informal marriage is sufficient and accepted to receive benefits and the same accepted status as a...

Common law marriage [ 11 Answers ]

What is the law on common law living in New York state Living like husband and wife for 12 years

View more questions Search