Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gatte001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2016, 09:28 PM
    DUI in NY
    What are spousal responsibilities in the event of a DUI accident involving injury or death.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 25, 2016, 03:40 AM
    What do you think. Of course, the onnus is on the person who committed the DUI and in my opinion should be put away for life if it was vehicular manslaughter. Then, if that person is married, male or female and children in the relationship, then the responsibility for carrying on is with the person who didn't commit the DUI. Is this what you are referring to ? If not, explain basically what you mean.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2016, 05:47 AM
    If and when the lawsuits happen, joint property is fair game for the settlement and fines.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 25, 2016, 05:52 AM
    There is no personal responsibility for the spouse. But as noted community or joint property may be attached.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 25, 2016, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    There is no personal responsibility for the spouse. But as noted community or joint property may be attached.
    Correct. As noted, the creditor could reach community property if it is in a community property state (NY is not one of those.), or jointly-owned property, as opposed to property owned entirely by the spouse who did not cause the injury. And, of course, attachment would occur, in any event, only after a civil judgment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DUI [ 4 Answers ]

On a background check, will my DUI show up?

Third dui [ 2 Answers ]

I got a third dui and I'm scared and my BAC was very small, what will happen? I was in compliance to all questions and it was just a social gathering with friends that night.. I had a few glasses of wine and that was it, my BAC was .10 so by the time they took me to the hospital it should have went...

My friend was just put in jail for Probation Violation, for DUI, under DUI suspension [ 1 Answers ]

This is his 3rd dui in 10 years, he registered a 1.1 Blood Alcohol Level and he just got out last year from a county 1-5 yr work release program - where he served 1 year - I am hearing that he will be doing 9 month to 4 year term. Note: he has multiple DUI's from his younger years - he is now...

Dui [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have a prior dui in New York and received a dwi in suffolk county about a year later. I'm currently on 3 years probation. What are the requirements of early dismissal from probation.

DUI, Now what? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi. Well, this is a question I never thought I would ask. But here goes. My husband got a DUI last night. I am out of town visiting family and he was/is going to join me on Saturday. He told me over the phone this evening. Needless to say I was a little shocked. I think driving while under...

View more questions Search