Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

Apr 14, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Damage on my car.
    I live in a cottage that has a parking space and garage in the back of the lot. I have two cars and I usually park one in my parking space and one in the street. About one month ago, the weather was really windy. My neighbor's garage door lock somehow came undone and the garage doors were swinging back and forth. When I went to work that morning, I saw the garage doors and noticed the doors had been slamming on the side of one of my cars. A noticeable dent was left. I asked the neighbor about it and he said that he had wrapped a cloth or plastic around the lock so the garage doors wouldn't open. I was angry but let it go.

The day before it was windy again. My 2nd car was parked in my parking space. Yesterday I noticed that my 2nd car was all banged up on one spot - similar to what happened on my other car. The garage door left white paint and a huge dent. I plan to ask the neighbor about it - but the fact is both of my cars have been damaged.

Whose fault is this? Should I blow this off because it was windy? Shouldn't this neighbor have assured that this wouldn't happen again? Can I take him to small claims Court and sue so I can have the dents repaired? I don't think I should have to pay for this or my insurance. What should I do? Thanks.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Apr 14, 2007, 04:06 PM
    I would ask him to pay for the damage. As long as you were not parking in front of his garage, or in his parking space. He should have secured his garage doors so they didn't fly open, if he didn't, he should expect to pay for the damage.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Apr 14, 2007, 04:13 PM
    His homeowner's / renter's liab insurance should pay for it, ask him to file a claim and give you the companies tel and claim number once he's filed it so you can verify it's been filed.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Apr 14, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Unless the wind was the result of a hurricaine, tornado or some other terrific "act of God" your neighbour has a responsibility to ensure that his doors don't blow open onto your property because if they do, and they cause damage, your neighbour becomes responsible.

We recommend that you obtain three written repair estimates and ask him to pay the cost of the lowest one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Car damage after redeeming a repo [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My car was repo'd Thursday and I went to redeem it today. When I brought the car to the car wash I looked at my front bumper and found that it was totally damaged and cracked. It is enough damage that I need a whole new front bumper. I called the place where it was but they already...

Salt pellet damage to car from salt truck [ 2 Answers ]

Re: Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT). My car was pelted by salt pellets being sprayed on the Kennedy Expy. Near Chicago. The pavement was totally dry thus causing the pellets to fly into my car which was traveling at 55 mph, damaging the hood and fenders extensively to the tune of over...

Damage to city property due to car accident [ 1 Answers ]

In December of 2003, while driving, I got into a car accident. My back tires hit a patch of ice, and I swerved into the oncoming traffic, so I reacted quickly and wound up jumping a curb, sliding across a fence, and then the car stopped. The fence (chain link) had some minor damage, and my car was...

View more questions Search