Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krystiparks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2016, 04:04 AM
    How do I stop the city from digging a new bar ditch in front of entrances to houses
    I own two houses along H Street in Snyder OK. The city keeps harassing me by telling me they are going to dig bar ditches along in front of the doorways of these houses. There is no easement. This is part of the old township. I denied them to do that for safety reasons. They continue to inform me of that they are going to do it due to standing water. There is no standing water in the area. How do I get them to stop? I also own the properties across the street as well. So technically I own and pay taxes for the ground the street sits on each year. On the other properties they have dug on, the they are doing is pathetic. Not even a straight line. Help
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 23, 2016, 04:46 AM
    Seek legal advise. Talk to an attorney. Put up no trespassing signs.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 23, 2016, 06:06 AM
    I would say, esp if the streets have been there for years, the government owns the property now. But you get an injuction with a lawyer and the court to order the city not to do it.

But... if there is standing water, the city zoning may fine you or make legal issues because of standing water, if the standing water is in the street, they may have a over whelming safety issue. If the standing water is on your property, they may have a health and welfare issue against you.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 23, 2016, 07:43 AM
    I own two houses along H Street ... There is no easement. This is part of the old township.
    I also own the properties across the street as well. So technically I own and pay taxes for the ground the street sits on each year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I would say, esp if the streets have been there for years, the government owns the property now. ...
    I agree with Fr_Chuck. If H Street is maintained by the city, it would appear to have been dedicated somehow. If OP does pay the taxes upon the land under the street, he or she should demand that the tax rolls be corrected. Either that, or barricade the street, put up "no trespassing" signs, and see what happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can two houses share a line out to the ditch,using their own pump in each house? [ 3 Answers ]

Two houses together,each with their own pump. Spliced into one line with a Y connection and from there one line out to the ditch. I would also install a check valve before the Y connection so water doesn't pump from one house to the other. Would this work?

2ft wide by 3ft high ditch around the front and sides of the pool [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, We had an above ground pool installed 3 weeks ago and now there is a 2ft wide by 3ft high ditch around the front and sides of the pool and we are not sure what to do with it. We were told to do nothing for at least 2 weeks to let everything settle. Then we were told we could backfill with...

How the heck do I get her to stop digging? [ 16 Answers ]

Ok, so our great dane puppy has a new hobby. I let her out to go potty and I watch her from the window in the kitchen so I know when she's done and I go out to get her. Lately, she's start digging and there's no hole when I see her start to dig but then she really goes to town and in the few...

Stop the dog digging [ 2 Answers ]

What tips does anyone have for stopping a dog from digging underneath a deck. This dog has a dog house at his convenience but would rather dig to get underneath my deck. Result is a muddy mess and he has gotten stuck a time or two also. Please help

How to stop dog from digging [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get my dog to stop digging in the dirt. I would like to plant grass but my dog keeps digging in the same spots

View more questions Search