How can I skip the 6th grade
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 22, 2016, 01:10 PM
    Why do you want to?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2016, 02:33 PM
    Did you take ALL of the 6th grade coursework and take and pass ALL of the tests?

The few places that allow that, you have to prove you already know everything they would have taught in that grade.

Most places don't allow it because so very few kids actually can prove they do and have.

Wanting to be with your friends isn't a valid reason...trying to make up for a previously failed grade isn't either.

You aren't ready for the 7th grade if you haven't fully mastered the 6th grade, and very, very few 5th graders have done that.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 22, 2016, 05:40 PM
    Teachers discuss skips with other people and your parents, and then you are offered the chance.
    I was offered it, but turned it down because I was already the youngest in my class.
    The offer was mainly made because I had moved from one state to another, and the old state was considered more advanced.
    Despite the 6th grade teacher being especially boring, I'm glad I didn't skip. I would have felt awkward by junior and senior year, socially. It makes a difference.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2016, 07:41 PM
    It is done by the rules of your school. Normally it means being a straight A student in 5th grade and take the proper year end testing for 6th grade and passing it.

Then if the school has rules to allow it, and the parents OK it, then maybe
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

Jul 22, 2016, 08:01 PM
    This is only done by the school and you would need to proof you are capable of doing grade 7th ( going from 5th Grade to 7th ).

To the best of my knowledge you would need to be within the top 5 of your school for 5th grade ( 95% + on all tests ) and then do a 6th grade equivalency test or as chuck put it " proper year end testing for 6th grade and passing it. "

Then with agreements from your school and ok's from your parents and passing that test you could skip to grade 7th.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 23, 2016, 06:10 AM
    I wanted to add a little more.

My son skipped 3 grade and 6th grade, because he was so far advanced from an education standpoint of other students. And keep straight A in the advanced classes after he skipped.

BUT>>>>

Now at 16, he has graduated high school, he has almost never been with other students his age because though high school he was advanced and had little in common.

He has poorer association skills and can now communicate at a higher adult level so kids 16 to 18 really are not even near his level.

He did a joint program with college level kids last semester and behaves and communicates with them much better, but he is not 19 or 20 he is only 16. So he does not have the emotional, dating and other experience college kids have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I skip a grade? [ 12 Answers ]

I am enthusiastic about attaining new knowledge in school, but my schools acceleration rate is too slow for me. For example, I can not pay attention in class but still get acceptable, even exceptional grades. On my report cards I have always made high honors (at my school this is making through a...

Can I skip my child to 6 grade to be in her right grade [ 2 Answers ]

My child work very hard she and the fourth grade need to be and fifth she feeling sad that next year she want be and six grade I do to. Can she go to summer school and skip a grade

How can I skip a grade? [ 3 Answers ]

I really want to skip 8th grade and move on to high school because I am basically the oldest. I flunk 3rd grade but science than my grades have been pretty good except for 1 report card I got a 60 in one class and 70s ,but I ussually get 80s and 90s even 100s. I think I was going through a really...

My son,13,is in the 6th grade for the 2nd time. Is there a test to skip to the 8th? [ 3 Answers ]

My son, 13, is in the 6th grade for the second time. He was held back in the 1st grade. Is there a test to skip to the 8th in GA?

View more questions Search