Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjh234 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2016, 07:30 PM
    Concrete Trench Drain to PVC
    Hello,

First time posting here. Thanks for the forum.

I am having a new concrete driveway poured and with the slope coming towards the house and garage, I have to have a channel/trench drain. The contractor is going to re-do the existing trench in concrete and re-use the existing metal grate, but where I am confused is how to attach new PVC or corrugated pipe to allow it drain out and away from the house.

The trench is about 5" deep and I would like to have a pipe enter at the high end to drain a planter bed and the another pipe attach to the low end to carry all the water away to daylight. Would simply pushing the end of the pipe in to the trench and concreting around it be sufficient? I don't feel like it would be enough to hold it on place.

I have seen the plastic channel drain pieces at the big box stores and feel they would break down over time. Has anyone had luck with them?

Thanks so much for the help.

-CJH234
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2016, 07:45 PM
    I have used the plastic box drain sections extensively to collect storm water and prevent it from reaching my house which has a hill and higher properties behind it. You have to make sure that the drain is well bedded in sand otherwise it may be dislodged by water getting below it but you can concrete it in. These drains have the advantage that you can remove the covers and clean them out as such maintenance of a drain is essential. It should be no problem to continue your concrete drain into a box section and use then the accessories to feed it into a pipe. But you have a contractor so you should take his advice unless you are looking for a cheaper solution. What I would do in this situation is imbedd the pipe below the concrete drain and fit a 90 degree joint so you won't have problems of it breaking away in the shallow connection. I expect you are going to use a corrugated agricultural line to drain the bed into the drain and you can use the same to disperse the water from teh drain into an absorption trench. What does the local code require you to do with the water?

Jul 21, 2016, 07:45 AM
    Hi paraclete, thank you for the fast reply.

So you are saying to place a box drain at the end of the trench and bury it in concrete, then run it to a 90 degree joint connected to the drainage pipe? I'm thinking of using PVC for this side. I've read the best is to use type 40.

I did plan to place a box drain in the low middle part of the planter bed and then a corrugated black flexible pipe into the trench drain. Not sure how that would connect in.

As far as codes, I have to look further in to that, but there is a swale behind and between houses which the city put there for draining water, so I assume I can connect the PVC to that.

Jul 21, 2016, 07:51 AM
    Hi paraclete, thank you for the fast reply.

So you are saying to place a box drain at the end of the trench and bury it in concrete, then run it to a 90 degree joint connected to the drainage pipe? I'm thinking of using PVC for this side. I've read the best is to use type 40.

I did plan to place a box drain in the low middle part of the planter bed and then a corrugated black flexible pipe into the trench drain. Not sure how that would connect in.

As far as codes, I have to look further in to that, but there is a swale behind and between houses which the city put there for draining water, so I assume I can connect the PVC to that.

I've attached some picture to give you an idea of what the site looks like. The planter bed is the grassy area, the box drain will be placed near the monkey grass, with the corrugated running to the trench (this will be straitened by the way). At the other end the trench there is a 6" PVC pipe which just kind of sits there, it's not secured in any way. Name:  IMG_4436.JPG
Views: 525
Size:  1.49 MBName:  IMG_4435.JPG
Views: 378
Size:  1.30 MBName:  IMG_4434.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  1.36 MBName:  IMG_4431.JPG
Views: 666
Size:  1.52 MBName:  IMG_4430.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  1.65 MB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smitty Drain pan connection to black PVC drain? [ 5 Answers ]

I am installing a steam generator for my shower. The unit has an attached drain pan with a "smitty drain" 3/4 inch connection. I am lost as to how to connect this to the black PVC drain system in my home. Thanks for any help here.

Replacing pvc drain in concrete [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing a tiled shower floor with a custom fit shower pan. The drain hole alignment is not an issue as it is "custom" placed. However, to install it and the drain that comes with it, requires that the PVC pipe be 1/4" above the new pan hole. Currently the drain is flush with the concrete...

Connecting to 1 1/2" copper drain with pvc kitchen sink drain trap [ 8 Answers ]

I'm trying to rehook up the kitchen sink pvc trap to the old copper drain pipe but the connector doesn't fit tight enough and the water links out. Any ideas how to stop this leak?

How locate pvc drain under concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

Eight years ago, I had a bathroom and office installed downstairs. Along the way, they dug a trench through the existing concrete slab and put in the appropriate pvc drain. This "underslab" drain runs under my office. Now I want to find out exactly where this drain is located so that I can put in...

View more questions Search