Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UCLA_1 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2016, 10:33 AM
    What would you choose..
    Is it better for a 28 year old female to move back home with her parents, teach at a middle school and work at the hospital on weekends for an entire year prior to matriculating into medical school to save money but have limited freedom? Or to move on her own five hours away doing the same thing, not saving as much money (due to rent and living expenses) and having her freedom?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2016, 10:36 AM
    Her plan is to mooch off her parents for a year, not pay rent and not pay anything for her upkeep?

What about getting a roommate(s) to share expenses in an apartment?
    UCLA_1 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2016, 10:46 AM
    I'm low on money. With the economy, it's tough to work, pay for living expenses and have little to no money to save in the end. But is the wisdom and liberty of being an adult worth more than saving money temporarily?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2016, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLA_1 View Post
    I'm low on money. With the economy, it's tough to work, pay for living expenses and have little to no money to save in the end. But is the wisdom and liberty of being an adult worth more than saving money temporarily?
    At the age of 28, I'd choose adulthood. And career plans may change. Mine did at that age.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 20, 2016, 11:00 AM
    As a parent, I would want the best future for my child. I would, and have, welcome her back into my home so that success is easier to achieve.

Limited freedom is a small price to pay in comparison to the costs of medical school.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 20, 2016, 11:40 AM
    What freedoms ? Time to be home, no boys over ? I guess the issue is how bad do you want something.

I see children never leaving home till they are married, and never getting married till they can afford it, here in China. What about a tight budget as noted having a room mate, no internet perhaps, not eating out and so on, (not knowing what you do now)

Why are you even taking a year off ?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2016, 12:01 PM
    Are you paying for your schooling yourself? What freedoms do you think you would be giving up if you lived at home for a year?

I'd have no problem giving up a few freedoms in order to save a sizable amount of money... there's far too much debt for most people already.

As a parent, I'd have no problems having an adult children live at home for a time in order to help them out, and I have as well. You could help out by taking on some of the housework, some meal preparation, yard work, etc.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 20, 2016, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Are you paying for your schooling yourself? What freedoms do you think you would be giving up if you lived at home for a year?

I'd have no problem giving up a few freedoms in order to save a sizable amount of money... there's far too much debt for most people already.

As a parent, I'd have no problems having an adult children live at home for a time in order to help them out, and I have as well. You could help out by taking on some of the housework, some meal preparation, yard work, etc.
    How about a nominal room and board arrangement ? Plus all of the above.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2016, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    How about a nominal room and board arrangement ? Plus all of the above.
    That would be fine too. Certainly some sort of participation would be appropriate.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2016, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    That would be fine too. Certainly some sort of participation would be appropriate.
    And household rules about dating and sleepovers and curfews?
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2016, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    And household rules about dating and sleepovers and curfews?
    That would be something to be determined by the parties involved, as would anything else, preferribly prior to a change in living arrangements. Some parents may have certain expectations, others may not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In love with two man - don't know what to do, who to choose and how to choose? [ 5 Answers ]

I am a 30 year old woman and I think that I love two men at the same time and I don't know what to do. About 7 years ago I met man no.1, we had a more or less happy relationship although I have to say that every now and then I had doubts that he is the one I want to spend my life with, and the one...

Who should I choose? [ 3 Answers ]

I have almost 2 years in a relationship with a very special boy. He's gorgeous, he loves me so much with all his heart, is happy when is around me.. all this time. I felt the same, till 3 months ago. Before meeting my actual boyfriend, I have loved someone very very much, a love that was never...

Which do I choose? [ 12 Answers ]

All right, so I'm 18 and my girlfriend is 18. I'm that kid throughout his whole life his dad signed the papers so he didn't know what sex exactly was. My Father explained it to me once, he said that masterbating was a devils sudection and sex is murder on a woman who is not ready to have children. ...

Which one do I choose [ 4 Answers ]

OK I know I probably sound like a right drama queen, but I have most recently gotten back with my ex girlfriend who for the last year I have claimed that I am in love with and want to marry etc. I am currently in a show and before getting back with my ex I had a thing with someone in it. Last night...

How do I choose [ 35 Answers ]

My girlfriend is 7 months pregnant and I have a 2 yr old daughter from another woman. I have been fighting for custody since before I met my new girlfriend. I now have joint custody and primary residence. Before this I had visitation with my daughter and she lived with her mom but the ministry...

View more questions Search