Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessisdope347 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2016, 12:24 PM
    Birth control & plan b
    My partner finished in me last night. I am on birth control & have never missed a pill. I am confused and worried because the app I use to keep track of my period says this is my ovulation week, but isn't the pill supposed to stop you from ovulating? Should I consider plan b?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2016, 11:58 PM
    You can get pregnant on birth control pills, and even plan B is not always 100 percent.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jul 20, 2016, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jessisdope347 View Post
    My partner finished in me last night. I am on birth control & have never missed a pill. I am confused and worried because the app I use to keep track of my period says this is my ovulation week, but isn't the pill supposed to stop you from ovulating? Should I consider plan b?
    Hi, if you're using birthcontrol why are you using a period/ovulation tracker? Hormonal birth control, when used right, will prevent ovulation. Most of the period trackers use nothing more then timers rather then taking into account actual body changes and hormone levels.

I wouldn't be concerned about anything. I don't think you need to take a plan B. If you're concerned then should use a secondary method of birthcontrol, like a condom.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2016, 08:34 AM
    Those apps are practically worthless. And assume every woman is the same, but they aren't.

As was mentioned... people get pregnant using one form correctly, some get still pregnant using two correctly (I know two who did).

Odds are strongly against it happening, but it does go to show... its not impossible.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 20, 2016, 09:11 AM
    Here is an interesting article that explains the process as related to the pill and ovulation.

Getting Hormonal: Overview of the Menstrual Cycle - How the Birth Control Pill Works | HowStuffWorks

Nowhere have I read using the plan b while on the pill, yet many say a female should use 2nd methods like a condom during sex while ovulating. They also spell out the physical signs that you may be ovulating while on the pill, so don't rely, or panic over an APP which cannot examine you.

Fertility Awareness for Birth Control

FAM relies upon the following assumptions:

• An egg (ovum) can live inside a woman's body for 12-24 hours. However, in calculating the fertile time we use 48 hours in case more than one egg is released.
    • Sperm can live in a woman's body up to 5 days after intercourse, though more often 2 days. Pregnancy is most likely if intercourse occurs anywhere from 3 days before ovulation until 2-3 days after ovulation.
    • The exact time of ovulation cannot be predicted, so we add 2-3 days to the beginning and end. A woman's fertile time (“unsafe days” if she wants to prevent pregnancy) is thus about one-third of her cycle.

Pregnancy is prevented by not having sexual intercourse during the unsafe fertile time, or by using a barrier method such as male or female condom, cervical cap, or diaphragm. Alternatively, if a woman wants to get pregnant, she can know when the most likely time is.
    FAM is most reliable for women with regular menstrual cycles. As a woman becomes more familiar with the signs of ovulation and the pattern of her menstrual cycle, FAM becomes more effective.

I certainly hope your fear doesn't lead you to adding the drugs in a plan B to the BC you are already taking. When in doubt, see the doctor who prescribed your BC pills.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth control and Plan B... help! [ 2 Answers ]

Im on birth control and I had missed a few pills towards the beginning of my pack.After unprotected sex I took plan B just to make sure. A few days later he finished inside of me again and I'm not sure whether I should take plan B again or not...

Birth control and plan b [ 3 Answers ]

I accidentally had unprotected sex on April 1 I started my birth control pills on the 25th of march well right after we intercourse I took plan B probably after 2 hours. I heard plan b makes you bleed but my birth control pills (jolessa) I think they stop your period for 3 months I tried to make a...

Plan b if on birth control [ 2 Answers ]

I've been on birth control for 3 months now and I haven't missed a single day. And yesterday I had sex with a condom, but it broke. So 2 hours later I took the "plan b" pill then 12 hours later I took the 2nd dose of the pill. Then today (about 22 hours after I had sex when condom broke) I had...

Birth Control and Plan B [ 2 Answers ]

I have been on the pill for only about 13 days. For the last 2 pills that were taken, one was taken about 15 mintues early, and one was taken about 2 hours late. I had unprotected sex and my boyfriend ejaculated inside me. I am just a little worried and was considering taking PLan B just in case...

Birth control and Plan B Questions Please help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just started to take Alesse-28, thirteen days ago, and I had unprotected sex on the 12 day, He did not ***** inside of me but I still took the extra precaution and called the clinic and I asked them if I was safe, they told me I wasn't. They advised me to take the Plan B pill to be extra...

View more questions Search