Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BlackwellFam Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    The Blackwell Family. Together we have everything!!

Jul 18, 2016, 02:17 PM
    Can my husband adopt my daughter with convicted felonies?
    My husband and I got married on February 9th, 2016. I have a five years old daughter who does not have a BIO father with any rights to her (he is not on her birth certificate and unknown). My husband has a criminal record with NUMEROUS convicted felonies for robberies and ONE SERIOUS NON-VIOLENT STRIKE in California. He does not have any cases dealing with family abuse or child endangerment. His last conviction he served four years in prison and is now on parole. He is currently attending a drug rehab because he got involved with some old habits, but he realized it was wrong and checked himself in. Would he be able to adopt my daughter with all of these issues? Please help.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2016, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackwellFam View Post
    My husband and I got married on February 9th, 2016. I have a five years old daughter who does not have a BIO father with any rights to her (he is not on her birth certificate). My husband has a criminal record with convicted felonies for a violent crime robberies in California. He does not have any cases dealing with family abuse or child endangerment. His last conviction he served four years in prison and is now on parole. He is currently attending a drug rehab because he got involved with some old habits, but he realized it was wrong and checked himself in. Would he be able to adopt my daughter with all of these issues? Please help.
    Your first mistake is thinking the biological father doesn't have rights because his name isn't on the birth certificate.

That actually has nothing to do with it at all. If he's still alive, he's going to have to be willing to sign the papers for it to happen. That's the FIRST hurdle to jump.

Jul 18, 2016, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Your first mistake is thinking the biological father doesn't have rights because his name isn't on the birth certificate.

That actually has nothing to do with it at all. If he's still alive, he's going to have to be willing to sign the papers for it to happen. That's the FIRST hurdle to jump.

What if I don't know who her Bio father is?

What if I don't know who her Bio father is??

Oh and I also forgot to mention he is CONVICTED FOR A SERIOUS NON-VIOLENT STRIKE. He does not have ANY violent convictions.. My mistake
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2016, 03:20 PM
    What if I don't know who her Bio father is?
    Do you know who he is?
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2016, 03:51 PM
    You are going to have to make a concerted effort to find out... the courts will otherwise assume you are trying to do an end run around the system by claiming you don't. Because there are women out there who have done exactly that in the past.

You genuinely might not know... but they will assume otherwise.

Jul 18, 2016, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    You are going to have to make a concerted effort to find out... the courts will otherwise assume you are trying to do an end run around the system by claiming you don't. Because there are women out there who have done exactly that in the past.

You genuinely might not know... but they will assume otherwise.

So how do I prove I don't know who he is? And then after that can my husband adopt our daughter with the strike and felonies?

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do you know who he is?

I do not
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2016, 08:09 PM
    So how do I prove I don't know who he is? And then after that can my husband adopt our daughter with the strike and felonies?

I do not
    You need to hire a lawyer.. because you would never be able to do it on your own. It WILL be significantly more difficult... and expensive as a result. Because somewhere out there is a father that has rights even if he isn't aware he is a father. The system is the way it is so someone acting out of spite (not saying YOU are) doesn't adopt out a child the other parent would want custody of.

You need legal representation as you will have to meet the requirements set forth by the court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2016, 10:15 PM
    You will have to attempt to find out who the father is , if it is two or three, they will need to be found and DNA tests done, because the father has rights. Including the right to know.

The court will have specific requirements that you must follow to start the adoption.

After that yes his criminal record will be a serious issue.

Jul 19, 2016, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You will have to attempt to find out who the father is , if it is two or three, they will need to be found and DNA tests done, because the father has rights. Including the right to know.

The court will have specific requirements that you must follow to start the adoption.

After that yes his criminal record will be a serious issue.

Thank you!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2016, 02:21 PM
    I know what you meant but by reading your heading infers your daughter has the felonies!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband wants to adopt my daughter [ 4 Answers ]

My ex and I were never married, my husband and I have been married 8 years and he has been in my daughters life as dad since she was 5 months. The bio dad does pay court ordered support and sees her on summer visits. I want him to voluntarily sign over his rights, he lives in one state and I live...

My husband wants to adopt my daughter [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 7 yr old daughter. The bio father is not in her life and never has been. Her birth certificate only lists myself and is blank where the fathers name should be. She has my last name. However I recently got married for the first time and have changed my last name. My husband wants to adopt...

How do I help my husband adopt my daughter? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 14 yr old daughter who hasn't heard or seen from her biological dad in over 3 years. He has not contacted her or anything. When asked about his daughter he says he doesn't want anything to do with her and he has no children. He pays child support when he wants which is hardly ever. I am...

Can my husband adopt my daughter? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband has wanted to adopt my daughter (who's 12) for some time now. Her bio father left when she was 5months old and did not pay any contributions for her care. He has had no contact with her since she was 2 ( we live in a different country now). How do I go about finding him and making the...

Ex-husband!Can he adopt my daughter [ 2 Answers ]

I had my daughter in 1997 and became involved with my high school sweatheart again after having her which we started talking again when she was a couple months old. We then moved in together and got married in 2000 we got divorced in 2001 he is still a part of my daughters life and she believes he...

View more questions Search