Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2016, 07:20 PM
    70 volt fead back
    On my 120 breaker I have a , about a 70 volt feed back from natural to ground at one of my receptials, and about 50 or so at some othes on the same circuit, why does the breaker not kick? Thanks, richard
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 14, 2016, 10:04 PM
    Circuit breakers operate on amperage, not voltage.

Power comes in on the black hot. It goes through the device which is a resistor. There is a drop in voltage any time power goes through resistor. How much of a drop depends how much resistance there is in the device. Power returns to its source on the neutral.

The neutrals come together at the neutral buss in the breaker panel. The ground wires which is a safety device and not part of the circuit also connect to the neutral buss. Therefore, the voltage on the neutral and the ground should always be the same. When you measure voltage with a meter you are actually measuring the difference in voltage between the two conductors.

If there is a difference in voltage between the neutral and the ground there must faulty connection in the neutral between the point of measurement and the circuit panel. If this occurs on multiple circuits check the connection of the buss bar to the incoming neutral.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2016, 08:32 AM
    Great info above, Start at Meter Can. Measure between Hots and ground, hots and neutral, and between ground and neutral(should be zero between ground and neutral), follow downstream from there. Just saw it is a bit of an old post, info is still good today?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I find a 2kva transformer, 480 volt primary to 4 volt secondary [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know where can I find a 2kva transformer, 480 volt primary to 4 volt secondary...

My 220 volt generator only has 110v coming out back gen and no power at main breaker [ 1 Answers ]

My 220 volt generator only has 110volts coming out back of gen and no volts at main breaker

480 volt transformer step down to 120 volt or 230 volt [ 1 Answers ]

AC Axial Fan: run on 120 or 230 input volts / Rated Currect .061 or .053 / Input Power 7 or 6 watts. Supply voltae 480. Need a step down transformer / 480 to 120 or 230 volts.

Can you run a 208 volt heating panel on 240 volt electrical supply [ 1 Answers ]

I have a baseboard electric heater that is 208 volts. My power supply is 240 volts. What will happen if I try to run m y 240 volt electrical supply to my 208 volt electric baseboard heater?

Want a convert 220 Volt AC to 110 Volt AC to run a stream Iron [ 3 Answers ]

I have the AC supply of 220Volt. But have received a stream iron which operates on 110 Volt AC. Can somebody suggest me how I can use this iron? If possible please let me know. Thanks with warm regards, Kamal Bhasin

View more questions Search