Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apples Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2016, 01:46 PM
    Windows 7 64 bit can not update
    When I go to shut PC off it starts to download 211 files then it shuts off. When I restart it tries to inialize the files but it says failure configuring windows updates reverting change do not turn off PC. Went to Microsoft site and I Manually download and install KB2647753. It is still running on PC should I cancel or stop it and try something else. PC is set to "Never" for updating because I don't want windows 10 auto installed. Have windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2016, 06:57 AM
    Windows Update is problematic
    This is a guess, but try to manually install KB3161608 which is an update for Windows Update. Maybe that will get things going.

To prevent Windows 10 from being forced on you, go get Never10 from Gibson Research. Free and effective.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jul 15, 2016, 03:26 PM
    If it's set to never how did you get 211 updates? KB3161608 actually worked for me as a standalone install that I downloaded for manual installation, but I had to disconnect from the net for it to succeed.

Jul 17, 2016, 05:32 AM
    Someone on Microsoft support suggest installing Windows 7 SP1 64 which is KB3145739 manually. I'm doing this now and it keeps running like another standalone installer. The never is for auto updates. I'm thinking of having a local PC shop install new windows 7 pro if I can't get this taken care of.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jul 17, 2016, 06:47 AM
    Try disconnecting from the net either by unplugging your Ethernet cord at the back or router. Or if your wireless just unplug your router from the wall. If the install is trying to connect to MS before it goes through that could be your problem. By the way that is not SP1 its an update that's supposed to make your system safer and it's older than KB3161608 which was released in June. The one they recommend is from April.

Jul 18, 2016, 03:34 AM
    I downloaded KB3161608 it's been running over 18 hrs. How long should it run?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2016, 04:56 AM
    I agree with Appzalien, make sure to disconnect from the internet before installing... 608. Don't know why, but it seems to help.

18 hours is too long to run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security Update for the .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 64-bit fails [ 1 Answers ]

Windows 7 Security update for .NET Framework 3.5.1 64-bit (KB2604114) continuesly fails to install either through automatic updates or even through manual download and install. This automatic update download stops at 11% and never proceeds further and the manual install fails every time at 1/3...

Can I change windows 7 home premium 64 bit to windows xp interface [ 1 Answers ]

Can I change windows 7 home premium 64 bit to windows xp interface

Block a Single Windows Update with Auto-Update Enabled [ 7 Answers ]

One of the Windows updates sent out on 10/13/09 caused a problem on my XP system (very, very slow operation of all functions). After a System Restore to a date prior to the update download, the problem was gone. After another Auto-Update, the problem returned. I know I can update...

View more questions Search