Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    valgal Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Apr 14, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Am I addicted?
    I tried marijuana like a month ago and ever since then I could not stop. I buy it every chance I get. Does that mean I'm addicted?
    louie1 Posts: 183, Reputation: 49

Apr 14, 2007, 02:21 PM
    NO I would say that after reading your other posts you have a serious desire to fit in and feel accepted. This is natural for your age to have this desire yet sex and drugs is not the correct route!

Take heed as to the answers others have given you on your other posts seek help from school or mum.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2007, 02:22 PM
    You could be developing an addiction, yes. You are also developing a bad habit of breaking the law - it could well be the next person you buy from is an undercover agent.

But before you do yourself some harm, if you are really concerned about this, please contact your doctor and ask to be referred to an addiction counselor for a drug evaluation and possible counseling. You deserve to know why you seek out pot on a continual basis - what are you trying to mask, that you need pot to make your life better?
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 14, 2007, 02:35 PM
    I do not feel people get " addicted" to marijuana -- not in the classic sense of addiction. Develop a habit yes.
    -- Savage
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 02:42 PM
    I have to agree with Louie, you are running down a very self-destructive path. Are you addicted? Well possibly since you are asking. Marijuana addiction is a psychological (all in your mind) not a physical addiction like many other drugs and addictions are.

You are doing drugs, dressing provocatively, and trying to attract the sexual attention of boys at only 14 years old. You are a ticking time bomb that is in serious need of counseling.

It won't be long before you may be prostituting yourself for the attention you crave from men and the craving of whatever drug of choice you end up with if you continue on this destructive path. Please seek some help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 03:45 PM
    So stop, find out, don't do it for a month, and see, if you are cliimbintg the walls you are. If you can go a month without it, you are not
    Josh_A Posts: 11, Reputation: 4

Apr 14, 2007, 05:06 PM
    I find it more helpful, rather than asking questions about what I "am" ("addicted", "lazy", "smart"), to ask what kind of feelings and needs I'm having in any particular situation.

I've watched folks very close to me try to avoid their feelings & needs by smoking pot. I shouldn't say "try"... it worked great, for years.

The thing to ask is, what needs isn't it meeting? Eventually running from those things didn't meet their needs for change and positive growth. They looked around and realized that the years had gone by and they were still pretty much the same. They didn't like that, and now they're trying to make a lot of big changes very fast to "catch up". And they're still having to face those things that the pot covered up.

Anyway, if you find that a particular strategy, like smoking pot, only meets *some* of your needs at the expense of others (not saying that's the case for you, but if) then obviously you'll want to look for new strategy that meets more of your needs, more effectively.

In simple behavioristic terms, we only do things for two reasons: to increase pleasure or avoid pain. Each time you choose to smoke pot, it's because at some basic level you believe it will either increase your pleasure, decrease your pain, or both.

Checking out whether that's true, both in the short and the long term, takes honesty and willingness to look at things we don't always want to look at.
    Lez Posts: 73, Reputation: 7

Apr 14, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valgal
    I tried marijuana like a month ago and ever since then I could not stop. I buy it every chance I get. Does that mean I'm addicted?
    You could well be on you way only you can stop yourself from thinking I need it. Do you have problems in your life and you find that your relaxed when smoking?
    Its nice to have that feeling but with the side effects that smoking can give you might not help in the long run smoking that stuff also messes with you memmory you end up forgetting and not remebering what you did the day before. Try making you self go without and see how you feel.
    brazygirl08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 9

Apr 14, 2007, 11:06 PM
    You may be addicted to the feeling but the drug itself is not addict able. Not like cigarettes or coke or crack... Just smoke less and less until you can stop or do it rarely!
    jaxie Posts: 148, Reputation: 4

Apr 26, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    I do not feel people get " addicted" to marijuana -- not in the classic sense of addiction. Develop a habit yes.
    -- Savage
    Addicted to pot I think not

J 9 I tell you pot is not physically addictive but mentally addictive. It's the young people around 95 % that use pot. And that's when people like parents get scared it will lead to something else but compared to PHYSICALLY ADDICTING drugs like Cocaine Crack Methamphetamines Heroin etc POT never hurt anyone I knew. The others did. No one dies from smoking pot or goes into withdrawals. Just the facts. I guess you are one of those people that see pot as a HORRIFFIC drug when in actuality it saves glacoma victims from going blind it keep aids patients from vomiting that goes for chemotherapy patients also it just has a place for healiing GIVEN THE PROPER CIRCUMSTANCES that is. IF a parent only had {POT TO WORRY ABOUT they wouldn't have to worry about DEATH or aids or any of the other things those other drugs and the use of them can cause. I STICK BY MY COMMENTS.

VALGAL please read my post right next to this one. YOU are mentally addicted to it you like it so you do it remember you don't get PHYSICALLY ADDICted where you have to go through agonizing detox and physical hell. When I was young we all smoked pot and we were just like you. We simply LIKED IT. None of us were ever HARMED by it though. Now others will say smoking anything period is dangerous but if you were MY FAMILY MEMBER I would thank GOD its not crack cocaine heroin methamphetamines etc. AS for it leading to HARDER DRUGS? NOPE all 32 of us NEVER did it. We smoked outgrew it as we got older and we are just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by valgal
    Val don't stress over this. People will tell you all sorts of stuff but your talking to someone with experience and that is experience with 32 others. You will outgrow it no matter your age.
    This reminds me of reefer madness how uterly stupid and ignorant that movie was. To this day we all laugh about it. I have a friend who is a cop he pulled over some kids they were smoking pot and he said to me Jax I let them go on that one. It was just pot. Like he said I wouldn't lock them up arrest them over pot. ANd this is a cop. JUST REMEMBER ONE THIG VERY IMPORTANT the MAN MADE law to keep it illegal. J 9 can say what they want I stick by the FACTS and what I wrote is fact.

In simple behavioristic terms, we only do things for two reasons: to increase pleasure or avoid pain. Each time you choose to smoke pot, it's because at some basic level you believe it will either increase your pleasure, decrease your pain, or both.

That's TOTALLY CORRECT;)

It won't be long before you may be prostituting yourself for the attention you crave from men and the craving of whatever drug of choice you end up with if you continue on this destructive path. Please seek some help.[/QUOTE]\

Prostituting for POT? Hahahah sorry but that gave me a laugh it is NOT PHYSICAL so there would ne NO PROSTITUTING for it. Its not cocaine crack meth dope come one now.. thats ridiculous. I wonder how old you are to say something like that to the kid.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 27, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Stick by your comments all you want, and I will stick by the comments made to me by the pot addicts that I cared for when I did my clinical rounds in the substance abuse centers this semester.

No pot is not nearly addictive as crack, cocaine, meth, or even alcohol, but it is addictive. Yes, it does have some medical benefits. Also the withdrawals from pot are by far the easiest withdrawals to get over. Actually alcohol is the only actual drug that may have a deadly outcome without unassisted withdrawal.

And guess what Jaxie, I have more personal experience with many of these drugs than you would ever imagine. So, it is not all what I have learned in school, but through personal and/or familial experience.

Apr 27, 2007, 04:38 PM
    Lets just agree to disagree. That's the best thing for us to do. There are no physical withdrawals from POT check web md or certain places like that. I must agree with you about alcohol one of THE MOST TERRIBLE WITHDRAWALS EVER and ALL THE DEATHS cirrocus drunk drivnig and ITS LEGAL GO FIGURE something that takes more lives than ALL DRUGS COMBINED ALCOHOL and its LEGAL now what sense does THAT MAKE>?? YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? Its Legal so its OK? NO WAY. ALCHOLOL is the worst offender peole feel save using it cause its legal. POT may be LEGAL someday too I bet it will be. But alcohol is on the top of the worst and yet because its LEGAL its OK? NO!

Just like the stupid law one day a girl is 17 NOT LEGAL jail or whatever.. Just lihrs later its LEGAL like the abortion issue one day LEGAL one day NOT. The law truly IS deaf dumb and blind and you will see that tipping of the scales thing in EVERY COURTHOUSE that's nuts

j9 go to next page
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Apr 27, 2007, 11:24 PM
    People can become addicted to pot. If this is psychical or mental I can't see that it makes a difference. If you just HAVE to smoke it then you are addicted.
    Now it is up to you, if you want to continue something that is against the law or if you want to get clean. The choice is yours.

Apr 28, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Isabelle believe me there is a HUGE difference in mental and physical addiciton. Physical addiction is when the body becomes so used to a substance that you actually NEED IT OR YOU GET VERY VERY SICK. AND suffer terribly. To the point where you wish you were dead because it is so agonizing. Telling yourself MENTALLY you don't need something is one thing but your BODY FIGHTING BACK for the chemicals is CRAVES TO MAKE YOU FUNCTION NORMALLY is another thing. YOU think a junkie gets HIGH>? NO they Don't they need a FIX just to be NORMAL to NOT GET SICK AND FUNCTION. Now that's scary. SO when it comes to comparing mental thought with physical NEED that is a HUGE DIFFERENCE. The PHYSICAL ADDICTS BRAIN becomes so conditioned to the drugs that all brain chemistry goes wild and it SCREAMS for that FIX as the person shakes uncontrolably sweats but is cold at the same time legs kick out of control hence the term 'kicking the habit' vomiting diahreah drug fevers drug dreams where even asleep the BRAIN is telling the person to get MORE of the drug its just a horror story. Reading about it or hearing about it from someone is one thing LIVING Through IT is another. You just can't compare the two. A mental addiction is that MENTAL the persons BODY Isn't SCREAMING OUT in cold sweats cramps vomiting diahreah drug fevers drug dreams etc. Hope this clarifys things for you.

Rehab for pot that is ridiculous. I agree with brazygirl and J 9 I can tell from your posts you don't have facts YOU yourself learned you are going on what you were either told or saw or read but LIVING IT now THAT IS KNOWLEDGE of something
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Hello:

Whether pot is a physical or mental addiction, is a distinction WITHOUT a difference. Who cares whether it's my brain or my body telling me to get loaded??

The discussion should be about its harm - if there is any. There's ONE big one that nobody argues about - GETTING CAUGHT WITH IT.

excon

Apr 29, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Their parents put them there perhaps? But nothing beats experience you must agree to that and I wish no one to have that kind of exoerience. You know when I started smoking there were no warnings IF the lable said causes lung cancer emphazema etc I would have never started. I lost my Aunt to emphasema COPD and she was 13 yes when they sold cigs to minors just like they did in my day. What a shame it is, to lose someone so dear to you. She was a mother to me and to this day I am saving the money to get those new lozenges to stop smoking. When I saw what BOTH aunts went through I think "and they paid good money for this" this meaning losing their lives and it just breaks my heart, makes me sad.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Jaxie, please clarify your position. Are you saying that smoking cigarettes is bad but smoking pot is okay?

Apr 30, 2007, 07:16 AM
    I think my post was misunderstood. If a person just has to have that hit of pot and will do anything to get it.. they are addicted. That is what I meant by mental or psychical being no different.
    Of course there is a difference when you are being detoxed, but breaking the law and using are just the same. If you don't "have to have that hit," then why take the legal chance of being caught and going to jail. I just do not understand the reason for using, if you don't have too. The penalty's are too great.
    Therefore I must conclude that if the "high" is worth anything. Isn't that addiction?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by isabelle
    I think my post was misunderstood. If a person just has to have that hit of pot and will do anything to get it .. they are addicted....... Therefore I must conclude that if the "high" is worth anything. Isn't that addiction?
    Hello isabelle:

I don't know if that post was misunderstood, but I understand clearly that you don't understand addiction. You're good at repeating stuff you heard, though. The problem is, the stuff you heard isn't right.

Being a user of substances, I found nicotine to be the hardest addiction of all for me to break, and I've broken many. However, even when I wanted a cigarette real, real bad, I didn't hold up a 7-Eleven to get one.

When was the last time you read about a pot crazed robber?

excon

Apr 30, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello isabelle:

I don't know if that post was misunderstood, but I understand clearly that you don't understand addiction. You're good at repeating stuff you heard, though. The problem is, the stuff you heard isn't right.

When was the last time you read about a pot crazed robber?

excon

Hearing that you are a user and seeing your user name kind of explains everything.
    I guess if you use drugs and are an ex-convict, that makes you an expert on drugs. Your screen name and your attitude says it all. You are an expert, I bow to your superior knowledge.
    Now back to the real world.

Do you really believe that there has never been a robbery or other crimes when some one wasn't smoking pot, or trying to obtain pot? You are very naïve.
    A police friend of mine told me pot was involved in many crimes. That may be hearsay but it isn't a lie.
    I have never been a victim of any crime, that did or did not involve drugs.
    I stand by my original post.
    I will make you deal... You share your experiences and I will share my knowledge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Friend is Addicted.. Needs Help [ 9 Answers ]

My friend is addicted to gasoline huffing.. he often haluctinates and does inhales from gas can almost eveyday. He has admitted he needs help but does not want to ask his parents. Is there anyway to help him get over this without asking from adult?

Addicted [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend of 5 years and father of my two sons. Is addicted to crystal meth. I love him more then I can say. Ive tried everything I can think of to get him to stop and he hasn't. I wonna help him I just don't what else to do. Got any ideas ? Help please!!

Am I addicted? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I'm 20 years old and currently at university... but my friends keep telling me that I drink too much.. even for a student? I go out 6 days of the week for the past month or so and I do admit I drink till I'm past drunk and spend all my money... including my rent money on alcohol. I...

I'm so addicted to going out. [ 3 Answers ]

And I really don't know how to stop, I seriously go out EVERY NIGHT! For example, this is my schedule Sunday, have lunch with someone, ANYONE, somewhere, then at night I pretty up and go to the club Monday, if I'm not working, I go shopping then later at night, meet up with friends for drinks or...

Addicted [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am so addicted to women, I mean like naked and bikini girls and stuff but I feel if I show it to people I know and stuff it will embarrass me (sorry about the spelling) What do I do?

View more questions Search