Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ravengurl92 Posts: 301, Reputation: 6

Jul 12, 2016, 04:35 PM
    What should I do about my friend ignoring me?
    My best friend just got a new boyfriend and I feel like she has lost interest in me. Whenever I ask her if she wants to hang out, she is always doing something with him. Sometimes she doesn't answer her phone at all. This is really starting to get on my nerves. I've never had a boyfriend before and I'm sure it's great and everything. But that's no reason to ignore your friends, at least to me it's not. Should I say something to her. I don't want to come off as harsh. But I really miss her and don't know what else to do.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2016, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ravengurl92 View Post
    My best friend just got a new boyfriend and I feel like she has lost interest in me. Whenever I ask her if she wants to hang out, she is always doing something with him. Sometimes she doesn't answer her phone at all. This is really starting to get on my nerves. I've never had a boyfriend before and I'm sure it's great and everything. But that's no reason to ignore your friends, at least to me it's not. Should I say something to her. I don't want to come off as harsh. But I really miss her and don't know what else to do.
    News flash... Other people have lives. You need to get a life, she did.

Maybe if you got a boyfriend (or a girlfriend if that's your thing) you might grasp this.

Seriously, read what you wrote, you sound needy, whiny and clingy and someone that NEEDS to be the center of attention all the time.

Sorry to be so blunt, but that's EXACTLY how you come across with what you said and how you said it. I think she feels that way too, that's why she ignores you calls, I would.

How old are both of you anyway? 14? I really hope you aren't an adult thinking that way.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 12, 2016, 07:24 PM
    The thing to do is enjoy other thing while your friend is busy enjoying her time with her boyfriend. Smoothy is quite correct pointing out that you may have become needy and that's pretty frustrating, I know, and maybe it was like that before your friend got a boyfriend, and you just never paid attention to it at the time.

I get she is your best friend but is she your only friend? Give her space and see what happens. Enjoy other people and things.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2016, 07:27 PM
    It's " getting on your nerves "? Apparently you are no longer the BFF. She made a decision, now it's your time to leave her alone and get your own life. You never had a boyfriend? How old are you?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 12, 2016, 08:03 PM
    Is this the same friend? https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dating...nd-825736.html

If so, please take a step back and look at why you seem to want to her to live her life by your rules. She is your friend. She is not your child or responsibility. This may seem harsh, but you seem to want to have a say in how she conducts her relationship. That is a great way to make her walk away from the friendship.

Many times new couples do get wrapped up in each other and want to spend most of their time together. It's normal and a part of building a relationship. Usually after awhile they start giving each other more personal space and spend time doing things on their own. How long it takes for a relationship to reach that point is up to the couple. Having friends, even well meaning ones, try to wedge themselves into the relationship causes frustration, anger, irritation, etc. It can make the couple pull away from the friends. It can even cause them to stop thinking of them friends and start thinking of them as ex-friends or, worse, enemies.

If you are her friend, you will back off and leave them alone. Let her contact you when she has free time. Call up other friends or make new ones. In other words, live your own life.

The best thing about friends is that you can be apart for weeks, months, even years and you are still friends when you see each other again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My friend or aleast my supposed guy friend is ignoring me for no reason [ 1 Answers ]

So my friend I met last year I didn't know who he was until my sister pointed him out. My sister was in the same class as him and her friends knew him as well. So we talked but not a lot only when we saw each other but we joked around. It's not like we just said hi and bye. But everything changed...

Friend is ignoring me [ 7 Answers ]

I've got this friend, we used to be really close but recently she has been ignoring me and I get the impression she never knows what to say to me. I am in a group of friends of about 5 people and she has started getting closer to one of the other people. I don't mind her being friends with other...

My best friend is ignoring me. [ 4 Answers ]

I used to be in a group of four friends, one of which was my best friend. The other two girls were best friends as well. About a year ago my best friend and another girl from our group moved to a different school -the same school as each other. So I was left at my current school with the remaining...

My best friend is ignoring me [ 5 Answers ]

I have a group of 8 friends at school and one of them is my best friend. Whenever she and I hang out by ourselves she acts like my best friend and we have a really good time. When we are at school or with our other friends she ignores me and will hardly even talk to me. I'm getting really...

My best friend is ignoring me [ 9 Answers ]

I have 5 good friends at school one of which is my best friend or at least she used to be. I think I like her but I'm not sure. Anyway, about 3 months back one of the 5 friends started flriting with her.(lets call her S and him L). Now S ignores me and only talks to L. One of my other friends...

View more questions Search