Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinelaker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2016, 02:49 PM
    I have an 80 evo custom. I lost all forward power.
    , I have an 80" evo custom. I lost all forward power. Bike will roll in all gears. Starter free spins in neutral but will lurch forward in gear when I hit the starter. Suggestions?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 11, 2016, 03:52 PM
    How does the clutch pack look? Also you could have sheared a pin inside allowing the gears to run free but when the torque from the starter is added to the system it may tweak enough to grab.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2016, 06:26 AM
    Let me take a stab at this. Does the starter also actually crank the engine or not besides what you described?

If not check your primary ( I'd guessing the engine doesn't crank at all). Not sure if you have a belt drive or chain drive primary. Starter drives the ring gear on the clutch shell that your primary drives the engine directly from, The fact it lurches when starter is engaged in gear tells me the clutch is not totally toast as its transmitting that from the starter through the clutch into the transmission and to your back wheel.

The gears themselves as well as the clutch shell are on splined shafts, so is the drive pulley for the belt drive and the Primary drive sprocket or cog on the pinion of the crankshaft.

My guess is Belt drive primary, belt is snapped or stripped of its teeth due to age and wear.

My Harley is 40 years old, its chain primary and drive, newer ones (except for Sportsters) I think are Belt drive at both ends, as its quieter and smoother and most cases lasts longer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 honda accord power seat forward backward motion problem [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, My Honda accord's power seat would recline back and tilt forward without any problem. But, it does not move forward or backward. It makes a weird sound and move 1/2 an inch or so, in either direction. I am not sure what the problem is and how much would it cost to get it repaired ?

Driver side power seat forward/back malfunction [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe. The driver side forward/back functions has stopped working. The same button controls the tilt of the bottom part of the seat and is working fine. The button that control the tilt of the back of the seat is also fine. I have looked to see if something might be jammed...

Lost power [ 2 Answers ]

My 4yr. Old Carrier heat pump shows no power to the thermostat therefore, nothing works. Checked the breakers and they show good. Could there be a circuit breaker on an internal board somewhere?

Building a Custom Power Strip [ 12 Answers ]

Here’s what I want to do: I am basically making my own power strip. I want to control each outlet with its own switch. I want to use an extension cord for my wiring by pulling out the wire. What do I run to each screw? Please see the pictures for the details. If the pictures are confusing, let...

View more questions Search