Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    electricshocked Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2016, 06:35 PM
    50hz cooktop on 60hz grid
    What will happen if I use a 50hz(european) 240v cooktop on the 60hz(usa) power grid? I cannot find a definite answer ANYWHERE!! Some say yes some say no and then they go on a tangent and don't give me a str8 up answer. I guess the main question is will I burn my house down
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 8, 2016, 06:50 PM
    What will happen if I use a 50hz(european) 240v cooktop on the 60hz(usa) power grid?
    It will get hot.

I guess the main question is will I burn my house down
    No.

European power is 240 volts to ground. US power is 120 volts to ground, 240 volts hot to hot.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2016, 03:48 PM
    Nothing will happen. It is a resistive load. As long as there is not a motor in the stove that is not rated for 60 Hz then there is no problem.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2016, 07:28 AM
    One thing you should check is the power cord and how it's connected to the stove. You can have two types of cords: (1) A four-prong plug or (2) A three-prong plug. The only difference is that the four-prong has two grounds and the three-prong has one ground. Both grounds go to the same terminal in the stove. This should not be a problem because the terminals are usually well-marked.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2016, 09:36 AM
    I'm guessing because this is a 50hz cook top its from a country that doesn't have 110v power. OUR 220v Volt use two HOT 110v legs (opposing phase) with a common, most places I know outside the US use a real 220 single phase (two wire connection and a Ground if you are really lucky but I've seen them with only 2).

I worry about the possible lack of a ground if wired between the two hot legs to get the 220v depending on how the cook top is actually wired internally. I've seen some scary wiring in Italy for example. UL certifications AREN'T an international thing.

Numbers are nominal as I see 110 list on some equipment, 115 on some 120 on others.

Edit: I noticed Europe is mentioned now....and that is most certainly a 2 wire 240v power delivery VS. the Three wire delivery in USA (two hots and a common), Some outlets MIGHT have a ground in Europe, most won't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I step down the 220v 50hz in my country to 115v 60hz to run an air conditioner? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to buy this conditioner that work with 115v 60hz but the electricity in my country 220v 50hz so can I use a volt converter and is it safety? http://www.amazon.com/NewAir-AC-12200E-Portable-Air-Conditioner/dp/B00VVO9SM0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_6&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER...

View more questions Search