Can they search the whole house if I'm just renting a room at this house
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 6, 2016, 04:06 PM
    Do you have access to the whole house?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2016, 06:23 PM
    Yes, that's how they find hidden things..
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 6, 2016, 07:08 PM
    If you have access to the whole house, then yes, they can search the whole house. I'm sure you don't just stay in the room. I'm sure you go to the bathroom, or use the kitchen, and maybe even sit in the family room to watch TV or read.
    Vanessa Sale Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2016, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do you have access to the whole house?
    Yes however the other two rooms that are not mine don't have locks on doors but I don't freely go in them because one is my friends room and the other is her moms room.

Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    If you have access to the whole house, then yes, they can search the whole house. I'm sure you don't just stay in the room. I'm sure you go to the bathroom, or use the kitchen, and maybe even sit in the family room to watch TV or read.
    I use kitchen , bathroom, and garage
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 7, 2016, 04:00 AM
    Since you have access to them, yes they can search any and all rooms in the house.
    If they find illegal things, like drugs, anywhere in the house, you will be considered to have custody of it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 7, 2016, 04:28 AM
    A common condition of probation is to not be around certain people, places and things so searching the whole house, and even scrutinizing those you live with very closely, whether you have access or associations with or not, is policy and procedure.

You may not be charged, but anything they find illegal or questionable, big or small, can endanger your probation.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 7, 2016, 06:22 AM
    It should also be noted that, as a condition of OP being allowed to stay in the house, the other people who live there may have been required to agree that their rooms also be subject to search. OP really doesn't have standing to assert any privacy interests of those other people; they would have to object to a search of their rooms.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 7, 2016, 11:17 AM
    The idea that bedrooms in a house are 'private' because you don't go in them doesn't hold weight as unreasonable search and seizure.
    If the house were a registered rooming house with locks on bedroom doors, you'd have an expectation of not searching those rooms.

The legal question I see is what would happen if another bedroom yielded some illegal object, when that person was not of concern to the police.
    I think I have seen this come up before on tv shows about the law.
    I think the answer is 'it depends.' YOU could be charged for that found object, being the reason for the search, depending on various factors.
    So... hiding things in the house is fruitless. But that's not why you are asking, is it? The friend and her mother are nervous? They should be.
    I imagine that if you do absolutely nothing to cause concern, including being on time, not associating with certain people/places, and taking all classes, then a search of the house won't happen.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 7, 2016, 03:18 PM
    I do have to ask. Why are you worried about this? Unless you have something to hide, or they people you're living with have something to hide, then what's the big deal? If there's nothing to find, they won't find anything. This only becomes a problem if there's something to find, and it's found.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2016, 07:46 AM
    Hello Vanessa:

I'm late to the party, but I have stuff to contribute..

Let's talk about a LOCKED box the PO finds in your roommates room. Is IT subject to search?? If the PO opens it, and finds drugs, CAN you be charged or violated??

My answer is an emphatic NO..

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation searches in Colorado [ 9 Answers ]

Can my son's probation officer search my locked safe for marijuana?

Can your probation officer make you do work searches [ 3 Answers ]

Forced to do extra work searches to get my unemployment. I'm new to probation and I have a female P.O. / on my 3rd visit with her She told me that I needed to do more work searches to obtain my unemployment checks because to her it was kind of light, and I was only doing 2 at first to obtain...

I want to get myself on Google searches, how can I do this? [ 4 Answers ]

How can I get myself and my musics on Google searches

How do I keep my internet searches private [ 7 Answers ]

I share a computer with other people :family and visiting neighbors logging in daily, how can I keep my internet searches private from public view? How do I make it impossible for them to look any of my searches up?

View more questions Search