Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ocwa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2016, 01:47 PM
    How to Create a Laptop Charging Circuit?
    I'm building a laptop, and currently I have 18 NCR18650B lithium ion cells. I was going to use an external battery pack, but the PCB was way too big. I just ordered "18X 2A single 18650 Li-ion battery cell protection circuit board PCB assembly" for the batteries and "Generic 19V 9.5A 180W AC Adapter For ASUS G55 G55V G55VW Power Supply Cord PSU" for the wall. The motherboard runs off 19V, and can be powered with a 2 pin Molex connector. Could someone please provide a schematic that would work as a laptop charger, preferably that could use those parts?

It needs to be able to charge the lithium ion cells and at the same time provide 19V of power to the motherboard through the molex connector when plugged in, and when unplugged, immediately switch from charging the batteries to using them to power the motherboard, without a noticeable drop in power. It would be even better if it could interface with the computer through usb 2.0/1.1 or a serial/COM port to show battery health. Something that can be made with a small/low form factor would also be preferable. Specific IC's would be very helpful. Thanks!
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2016, 05:24 AM
    for free?
    Ocwa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2016, 12:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hfcarson View Post
    for free?
    Well yeah, there are lots of free schematics floating along online, I'm just looking for something simple. If someone wants some money to design a really good one, I'm willing to pay.

UPDATED QUESTION:
    As part of a laptop that I am designing from scratch, I wish to design the battery charging / power management system. This needs to accept power from an 'industry standard' 19V power supply and use this to both charge the battery and operate the laptop when the battery is either not being used or unavailable. I have noted some specific constraints that I wish to meet at the end of this question.

I have 22 NCR18650B lithium ion cells. I did try using an external battery pack's circuitry, but the PCB was much too large to fit. I just ordered "18X 2A single 18650 Li-ion battery cell protection circuit board PCB assembly" for the batteries and "Generic 19V 9.5A 180W AC Adapter For ASUS G55 G55V G55VW Power Supply Cord PSU" for the wall. The motherboard runs off 19V, and can be powered with a 2 pin Molex connector. I'd appreciate input re implementing a design that would meet my requirements while utilising the components specified above.

It needs to be able to charge the lithium ion cells and at the same time provide 19V of power to the motherboard through the molex connector when plugged in, and when unplugged, immediately switch from charging the batteries to using them to power the motherboard, without a noticeable drop in power. It would be even better if it could interface with the computer through usb 2.0/1.1 or a serial/COM port to show battery health. Something that can be made with a small/low form factor would also be preferable. Suggestions re choosing suitable IC's would be very helpful. Thanks!

Anticipated battery usage configuration = 7S3P

Anticipated battery charging configuration = 3S7P

Battery voltage range = 19.25V-29.4V (2.75V x 7 cells - 4.2V x 7 cells)

Laptop input voltage range = 19V - ?V (it says it has overvoltage protection, but I'm not sure how much, I've contacted the seller and am awaiting a response)

Maximum laptop current draw = 9.5A is my estimate, if I were to add a GPU on, but I don't have all of the parts to do a test right now.

Maximum laptop current draw without GPU = 6.3A

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop battery charging problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have an HP 540 for about 1 1/2 to 2 yrs. Lately, the battery just die suddenly. I can use the laptop if I connect it with AC power, but I just run a test, while the power meter show that the battery is charged to 100%, when I unplug the power cord and let it run on the battery power, the...

How to bypass SF6 circuit breaker for charging line 132KV? [ 0 Answers ]

For power generation, we have the blackstart generator used for cover total blackout. Our output is 11KV/132KV. For the restoration plan, we need to do the restoration into the grid system. How can we charge the line 132kv since before entering the 132KV, there is a SF6 Circuit breaker. Is there...

Electrical charging circuit 1990 acura [ 1 Answers ]

In the past few months I have installed a new alternator and battery in my girlfriends acura legend, but the battery keeps getting drained. I have determined that there is something wrong with the electrical charging circuit but I don't know what exactly it could be. If anyone has some advice I...

Laptop charging. [ 9 Answers ]

My laptop is in my bedroom most of the time and it is on for the whole day. How should I charge it? Should I wait till the battery runs out? Should I leave the charger in all the time? Should I take the battery out, leave the charger in and run it off the mains? Thanks.

View more questions Search