Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saskatchewan87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2016, 06:48 AM
    Floor System Options on a Slab Foundation
    Hello everyone, quick back story. I'm building a home at a estates that's close to a riverbank. So because of potential unstable soil you need a Engineered Raft Foundation. And to cut back on overhead costs we decided to go with a Engineered raft Slab Foundation instead of a dug basement, and then we started looking at Radiant heat to put right in the slab which ended up being to expensive.

So here is my question, we need to go with forced air and we have a Slab foundation. At the current moment we are thinking of putting a open web engineered floor truss on top of the slab so we can run ducting. Is there any other options we could do that would be more cost effective.

PS. Many might suggest a crawl space but we have already had the slab engineered
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2016, 07:33 PM
    If you're dead-set on the venting blowing the heated or cooled air upwards, then you could consider running the duct-work in the foundation itself. This is not uncommon.

Also not uncommon is running the duct-work above the ground floor so that the vents blow downward.

... or am I missing something?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak at wall/floor in slab house when rains - window? Slab crack? [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I have a slab house in Florida. I discovered that when it rains water comes in where the wall meets the floor. But there's a bit more - it's under the window, but also about a foot away from the window. The window has sliding panes, which I caulked shut. I also put a tarp over the window...

Tub & bath sink not draining, slab foundation and septic system [ 1 Answers ]

The tub and bathroom sink will not drain. I have plunged and have used chemicals. This house is on a slab foundation and septic tank. All of the other plumbing in house is fine, ie: kitchen,washer,etc.

Adding a shower to half bath on main floor (slab foundation) [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting quotes to convert our attached 2 car garage to a living area for my recently widowed mother; this would give her a bedroom/sitting room and storage - the attached wall follows down my interior hallway and I've asked the home improvement guy to quote me a door at the end of hall to new...

View more questions Search