Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snyders Posts: 20, Reputation: 9

Apr 14, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Transferring Word template autotext database
    I just attempted to ask this, and I think it failed. If this is the second posting - sorry, please ignore. If not...

On computer A, I created a new Word 2000 template in a new name, LH3.dot. I did this specifically to create a new autotext database, which I will call ATDBLH3.

The template LH3.dot worked well on many separate occasions.

I copied the template itself directly onto thumbdrive, then copied it from the thumbdrive onto Computer B. It opened with an OLD (not the new ATDBLH3) autotext database. I opened the "organizer". When I open the autotext database in it, the database is my old one, and the new autotext database from LH3.dot (ATDBLH3) is now gone!

The process also failed to correctly deliver when trying to use the organizer to move the autotext entries from LH3 on computer A to LH3 on the thumbdrive.

FIRST and most importantly: How should I have correctly exported the new template and its autotext database?

To test another method for the transfer, I very temporarily renamed LH3.dot on computer A as LH3TEST.dot, then tried exporting it to the same thumbdrive. Then I re-re-named LH3TEST.dot on computer A back to LH3.dot. Now, I cannot find the new autotext database ATDBLH3 on computer A at all! Even though I did nothing but rename once, then rename a second time, ATDBLH3 has been replaced by the old autotext database.

SECOND: Any idea where ATDBLH3 is now?
    Barbarah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by snyders
    I just attempted to ask this, and I think it failed. If this is the second posting - sorry, please ignore. If not...

On computer A, I created a new Word 2000 template in a new name, LH3.dot. I did this specifically to create a new autotext database, which I will call ATDBLH3.

The template LH3.dot worked well on many separate occasions.

I copied the template itself directly onto thumbdrive, then copied it from the thumbdrive onto Computer B. It opened with an OLD (not the new ATDBLH3) autotext database. I opened the "organizer". When I open the autotext database in it, the database is my old one, and the new autotext database from LH3.dot (ATDBLH3) is now gone!

The process also failed to correctly deliver when trying to use the organizer to move the autotext entries from LH3 on computer A to LH3 on the thumbdrive.

FIRST and most importantly: How should I have correctly exported the new template and its autotext database?

To test another method for the transfer, I very temporarily renamed LH3.dot on computer A as LH3TEST.dot, then tried exporting it to the same thumbdrive. Then I re-re-named LH3TEST.dot on computer A back to LH3.dot. Now, I cannot find the new autotext database ATDBLH3 on computer A at all! Even though I did nothing but rename once, then rename a second time, ATDBLH3 has been replaced by the old autotext database.

SECOND: Any idea where ATDBLH3 is now?
    Hi Snyders
    If I understand correctly what you're trying to do, merely copying the template will work, however, in your new document you will need to click Tools | Templates & Addins | Attach and then attach your template.

If you formerly had a template of the same name attached to your documents, the new template needs to overwrite it, so the link doesn't break.

Did I understand you correctly, and does this help at all?

Barbarah

Apr 24, 2007, 04:58 PM
    No, sorry, that does not address the problem. Thanks for trying! I appreciate it!
    I have not yet had the time to try the first suggestion, but I will do it by next week.

May 1, 2007, 05:32 PM
    None of these suggestions has worked. When I copy the new template from the first computer to a thumbdrive, then copy that onto the second computer, all of the autotext information is gone! The letterhead outlay of the new template is there, but the autotext list is the same as the old autotext list on that second computer.
    Here is something else interesting: if I view the template on the thumbdrive while plugged into the first computer, the autotext data is there. If I view the template on the thumbdrive while plugged into the second computer, the autotext data is missing.
    Any other suggestions?

May 1, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Even more info: to further troubleshoot the problem, I returned the thumbdrive to the original computer, and now the new template on the thumbdrive is missing the new autotext. And even more mysteriously, the original saved template that contained this new autotext information is now missing that new autotext information. This is the second time that this occurred. I thought that the first time was my mistake, but I meticulously saved the template this time, and it is now gone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Template for letter of introduction... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am sending out letters to introduce myself to potential business partners. Does anyone know where I can get templates without having to purchase anything? Thanks, Laurie

Looking for MS Access 2002 Template [ 3 Answers ]

I finally picked up a copy of MS Access (2002). I'm looking for a Template for a Membership List. There's just one that came with the program - and MS's site doesn't have one for 2002. Googling is getting me nowhere. Anyone know of some template sources that I can look at? Thanks!

Download Free Web Template [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! Where can I download.. professional looking.. Web template for free.. thanks

Microsoft Word Template Underlines [ 1 Answers ]

Word 2003. Creating a template. I want to lock in the underlines so that one can type info on top of the underlines without deleting the underlines or moving the line. How do I do it? Example: The template might have the following lines: Name: _____________________________ Date: ...

Sample template for a business plan [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a sample template available for a business plan

View more questions Search