Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nothyme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2016, 05:57 PM
    Opportunity - moving from residential to post-construction
    Hi there, found this site and signed in to ask like so many others... I am in the cleaning business for many years (started as a teenager). Mostly residential and offices. Living in Vancouver, BC prices are vary heavily in this industry. I got a few residentials, but I have been offered to work for a contractor / builder. Even though I did quite a few post-con jobs, I never did in my name, always helped out a friend. Got most of the needed material, got a 3MM Liabillity. I looked for information and, I feel like going price wise by sqft makes kind of sense - I guess that depends. I figured I would do okay by charging somewhat in the middle between .20-.50, meaning .35-ish. Thing is the contractor knows that I'm by myself at this point and that I'm only able to do "smaller jobs" - he's fine with that (he knows my reputation is pretty good and he's a great guy overall). Do you think .35 per sqft sounds okay, windows excluded (I would charge 2.50 CAD per side). I'm not in for removel, maybe... depending on what it is. What could be the extra charge for that? I feel like even though it's kind of harder being on my own I don't have to deal with costs and issues with employees. Sounds harsh, sorry for that. Would be awesome to get your input. Cheers, nothyme
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 3, 2016, 07:03 AM
    Only you would know what the going prices are as it is going to vary with each job. What you have to keep in mind is being able to be flexible in your position. If the person is a long term source of income then it may work out to a win/lose situation where it all balances out in the end.
    nothyme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2016, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Only you would know what the going prices are as it is going to vary with each job. What you have to keep in mind is being able to be flexible in your position. If the person is a long term source of income then it may work out to a win/lose situation where it all balances out in the end.
    Thanks!

Another question regarding taxes:

I don't have to charge PST in BC/Canada but might have to charge GST if my income is above 30'000 CAD. I can register for a GST account right away and have get the paper work done which is fine.

But, I don't charge my residentials GST right now and would prefer to keep it that way.

On the other hand I guess it makes sense to put the GST on the bill for the post-reno right from start.

Can I charge the contractor GST but not the residentials?

Taxes are so not my subject... :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Residential post remodel construction final clean price for Maui [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know the going rate for post remodel construction final clean prices for Maui, Hawaii? It's a 2500sq. Ft 2 story house. Has 4 bths, 4 bdrm, 2 kitchens, lots of windows, 4 or 5 sliders, upper deck is all glass windows around 3/4 of house, all new wood flooring.

What is the average rate PSF for residential & commercial post-construction? [ 1 Answers ]

I started a post-construction commercial cleaning business and got everything in order, website, business cards, advertising and a whole lot more, and I am currently working my first property. However, no matter how much research I do, I cannot find current bid rates per square foot in Denver...

Construction cleaning price per square foot I have an opportunity [ 1 Answers ]

I have an opportunity to give a bid on cleaning a Bldg. . It was a training facility for construction and there is grain sized to large I-Beam type of a mess. They want a general clean with some heavy stain on VCT type tile removed as best as can with out too much trouble,They will supply the...

How Much Do I Charge on a Post Construction Clean-Up Opportunity? [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking to find out what to charge on a post construction clean-up opportunity. The building intels 8,400 sf of exterior glass, 775 sf of skylight glass at the top of the atrium , and 4,100 sf of interior glass at the 4 sides of the atrium. I am looking for an estamate of what to charge, the...

View more questions Search