Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    natelindz15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2016, 10:22 AM
    Dell inspirion problems, need help
    I have a dell insiprion and I am trying to upgrade to windows 10 and it works good through the download process then when it starts installing it, the computer makes a noise sounding like a fan then a few seconds later it just turns of... No warning or anything... Also when I start it up some times it says "failure hard disk drive" or something on the pines of that but other times it starts right up... I desperately need help, please

Thank you.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 30, 2016, 10:26 AM
    A couple of possible things to check.
    1/ blow out the vents with canned air to ensure it's not over heating.
    2/ The Hard drive could be on its way out, in that case you'll need to replace it before you can upgrade
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 30, 2016, 01:03 PM
    I've had 5 Dells over the years, and 2 of them were notorious for overheating, including the one I have now.
    I have a fan aimed at it for the summer. It even overheated in the sun last winter, and I had to shield it.
    One in my closet is hopeless about overheating and is too difficult to take apart to clean the fan. I can use it for 5 minutes.
    Feel how hot your computer is in the corner where the power supply is - it's probably blazing hot.
    Make sure it is ALWAYS on a solid flat surface, not a couch or bed or pillow, where it can catch fire. That's true of any portable.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 30, 2016, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I've had 5 Dells over the years, and 2 of them were notorious for overheating, including the one I have now.
    I have a fan aimed at it for the summer. It even overheated in the sun last winter, and I had to shield it.
    One in my closet is hopeless about overheating and is too difficult to take apart to clean the fan. I can use it for 5 minutes.
    Feel how hot your computer is in the corner where the power supply is - it's probably blazing hot.
    Make sure it is ALWAYS on a solid flat surface, not a couch or bed or pillow, where it can catch fire. That's true of any portable.

They make fans that look somewhat like a tv tray that you can put your laptop on and the power off your usb. Also to take one to a qualified tech and have it serviced usually isn't very expensive. You can have new heatsink grease put on and through cleaning for under $50.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dell Inspirion Laptop PP2.3LB [ 6 Answers ]

Please tell me how to unlock my laptop keyboard. Don't know how I locked it!

Bootable windows usb on Dell Inspirion Mini 910 netbook [ 0 Answers ]

I have Dell Inspirion Mini 910 netbook, I made a bootable usb with windows and when I'm trying to format, the blue screen of death comes up saying something like (check you drive) I made the bootable usb with YUMI. What is wrong help.

Dell laptop problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hi can anyone help I have a new dell laptop which every time I turn it on the screen says configuring updates stage 3 out 3 0% then restarts and does the same over and over again please help...

Unlock Laptop Keyboard on Dell Inspirion [ 2 Answers ]

My keyboard is locked. How do I unlock it?

I have a Dell inspirion laptop, can I use a card for wireless connection ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Dell inspirion laptop and am looking for a way to surf the net. I also have a router but do not know how to hook it up and am missing a certain cable. I would like to know if my Dell would support a wireless card like a D-link and I could use that to connect to the world wide web and...

View more questions Search