Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Racerxden Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2005, 01:58 PM
    Mr
    Deleting a partition on XP Home, I get this from Mickey Soft help : 1.

Open Computer Management (Local)

In the console tree, click Disk Management.

Where?

Computer Management (Local) > Storage > Disk Management

Right-click the partition, logical drive, or volume you want to delete, and then click Delete Partition.

However , I don't have this option after right clicking . The option in my context menu closest to this is : Delete Logical drive...
    Sounds scary to me & not sure I want to do that. Any help ?
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Mar 9, 2005, 02:11 PM
    In computer management you can right click on the DISK or right click on the partition. Each give you a different set of options. However deleting the logical drive will give you the results you want.

Taken from MS Help:
    Logical Drive

A volume that you create within an extended partition on a basic MBR disk. Logical Drives are similar to primary partitions, except that you are limited to four primary partitions per disk, whereas you can create an unlimited number of logical drives per disk. A logical drive can be formatted and assigned a drive letter.

What this means to you, Treat it as a normal partition. When you delete it, you will end up with some available unpartitioned space.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2005, 05:20 PM
    If you want to play with partitions I would strongly recommend getting a copy of Partition Magic. Deleting a partition deletes all the data on it. PM will allow you to merge partitions and resize without losing data.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2005, 12:43 AM
    Partitions
    Hi,
    If you are not sure what to do, best is not to do it. You could lose all files you have.
    Take it to a computer sales/repair store near you, and let them follow you through it, or let them make suggestions while you are watching.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2005, 01:42 AM
    Well I've stayed out of this thread, but you should leave it alone, want more space? Put another drive in it. Want to get rid of it just for sake of getting rid of it and don't care what's lost delete it.

Mar 10, 2005, 06:25 AM
    It would help us give you better advice if you explained why you want to remove the partition.

It is NOT necessary to go to the expense of taking it to a tech for this. A tech will probably charge more then the cost of Partition Magic.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2005, 09:00 AM
    Partition Magic
    Hi,
    Yes, I agree that a technician would probably charge more then the cost of Partition Magic, but would be good "insurance" against losing important files.
    But, the fact remains: If a person is not that familiar with software, how to use it, the help part of the software, where to find certain needed information, what to click on, etc; they could do more harm with the software and possibly lose all their files.

Best wishes,
    fredg

Mar 11, 2005, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Yes, I agree that a technician would probably charge more then the cost of Partition Magic, but would be good "insurance" against losing important files.
    But, the fact remains: If a person is not that familar with software, how to use it, the help part of the sofware, where to find certain needed information, what to click on, etc; they could do more harm with the software and possibly lose all their files.

Best wishes,
    fredg
    Fred,
    Maybe you don't understand all the nuances of Partition Magic. But I have known many people who have used it successfully. It is a very stable program and very easy to use. I don't recommend programs or actions (like editing the registry) unless I feel they are safe. I have no reservations about recommending PM to anyone.

A better "insurance" against losing files is a good backup policy.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2005, 12:52 PM
    Explaining himself
    Hi,
    The follow-up post by ScottGem was not necessary.
    He repeated what was "understood" by all who reads these posts.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2005, 03:25 PM
    Hey guys, it's a help site, not a site to argue over such minor things

Mar 11, 2005, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    hey guys, its a help site, not a site to argue over such minor things
    Hi Briggs,
    It is indeed a Help site. As such I don't consider it "minor" when bad advice is given. I wonder if Fred has ever used PM that he warns against it. The fact is that PM is a well regarded, long established utility that has saved me time and money many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredg
    Hi,
    The follow-up post by ScottGem was not necessary.
    He repeated what was "understood" by all who reads these posts.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Fred,
    I felt it was necessary. First, to counter your remarks which might cause readers to reject what is an excellent utility. Second, to promote a good backup policy as the best insurance against data loss.

And I would not talk about unnecessary posts if I were you. How many posts have you made that were just an echo of previous posts. You talk about it being against the rules here to harass another member, but isn't that just what you did here?
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Mar 12, 2005, 06:11 AM
    Computers for beginners
    Not one to poke my nose in when I don't know what I'm talking about,but the only way you can 'test' a piece of software is to listen to advice,then if you need it,try it out.There have been a few instances when friends of mine have said product A is great,but product B is useless.If I did'nt need any of them I would say that is your opinion,but I don't know.

However,there have been instances where I might say,product B is fine,what are they talking about?

Like all things PC,I only offer advice when I'm sure I have experienced 'that' problem.Of course we all say something and someone else will say,"not true from my experiance",such is life.

If PM works for you,then use it.If you don't need to,or find an alternative route then use that.

How often on this forum have we read about XP Service Pack 2,and the problems some have had with it.I must just be lucky,I've had no problems at all.No doubt come the 'soon-to-be- Service Pack 3,and all that will change.

Sorry this reply does not help the original problem,but mud slinging,plagerism,accusations and the like should be left in the school playground.

This forum is the best and easiest to use on the web,in my opinion.Please guys,lets keep it that way.

All the best,
    Nez. :eek:

Mar 12, 2005, 08:46 AM
    Nez,
    Good points. Of course that's part of why sites like this exist. So people can get advice from those who have used the software, hardware or whatever.

I know, when I'm giving advice about something I'm not personally familiar with, I will say that and mention my advice is based on reading reviews and other sources.

I happen to be very familiar with PM. I started using it with version 3 (its now up to 8). Its one of the few software packages that I have rarely heard anything bad about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search