Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nat896 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2016, 06:33 PM
    Fixed Asset Query
    If I dispose of a vehicle as scrapped but then need to reinstate it as it has been fixed. How do I value it? Is it market value? Or do I need to take into account the cost to ring it back to working order?
    A value was paid out by insurance company less the wreck value so we could keep it. Then instead of using it for parts as planned it was fixed.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2016, 07:03 AM
    This is a question which needs to take into account the accounting period. If this happened in the same accounting period I would reverse the entries that scrapped the vehicle and add the value of the repairs to its written down value because its useful life has been extended. If it was scrapped in a in earlier period I would reinstate it for the repair value. Unless you are in the habit of revaluing assets to market value, I would ignore market value unless market value is less. The principle here is carrying value is the lower of cost or market value

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed Asset [ 2 Answers ]

I have a piece of property and it's purchase price was $550,000. I recorded it as a fixed asset within the business's journal with a credit for the Purchase Price and a debit for Loans from Shareholders. I also have a note on the property for $350,00 which I have recorded as a decrease to the...

Fixed asset or Intangible asset [ 4 Answers ]

Is the U.S. Treasury Note. A Fixed or Intangible Assets.

Fixed asset [ 1 Answers ]

The company I worked for bought 5 banners for a total value of the invoice of $1,600. Can we classify these banners as an fixed asset? According to the company policy a fixed asset should have a value over $1000. If several items are bought in bulk and the invoice is over $1000 is also...

Fixed Asset J/E [ 6 Answers ]

Join Date: Feb 2008 Posts: 2 Journal Entries... please -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- On my trial balance I have an Bldg Fixed Assets of $110,000 debit; I need to credit this amount . Which account do I use? But, I have to create the...

Fixed Asset [ 1 Answers ]

How do you record in the current year a fixed asset figure not posted in the previous year?

View more questions Search