Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pesofsh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2016, 06:00 PM
    Help with installing a BIG oven
    I need to install an oven that is 208v single phase but draws 96 amps. The panel is about 120 feet away and is only 150amp. Is this possible given the fact there is already (14) single pole 20, (2) two pole 20, (3) two pole 30, and (1) two pole 50. Also, do you think a 3/3 MC is acceptable?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 29, 2016, 04:11 AM
    Since this is obviously a commercial setting, why not let someone with the knowledge and experience handle this job?
    Someone doing such an installation should not have to ask these questions.

FTR, no way I'd feed this oven from that panel. Unless most of those breakers are not being used at all.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2016, 04:20 AM
    I assume this is not for your dwelling..correct? Is this for a business?
    Do you have the maximum annual or monthly demand load on this 150 ampere panel?
    (This information is required for permit approval)
    #3 AWG is too small for a 100 ampere overcurrent device. You will need to use
    #1 AWG cable based on NEC 110.14(C)(1) and 310.15(B)(16).
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2016, 12:38 PM
    It's unlikely that your service can handle this additional load. Maybe a smaller oven or a service upgrade is needed. When in doubt call in a professional.
    This is a DIY room with para-professionals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a wall oven [ 6 Answers ]

Hi - replacing my Moffat wall oven with a neighbours GE wall oven/convection oven. My service has your traditional 4 copper wires - red, black, white and ground. The Moffat had four - it was an easy match. GE oven has FIVE - red, black, white, green and BLUE. I know what to do with all the...

Installing New Oven [ 3 Answers ]

We recently moved and our basement needs work. I would like to put an oven somewhere in the basement. If I'm not mistake it needs a 30A Breaker correct? I looked at the breaker box and noticed that there are some space for a 30A breaker but how will install the breaker in the panel? I know I should...

Installing a microwave oven [ 3 Answers ]

How do install a sharp carousel microwave oven?

Microwave oven installing [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to install an above stove microwave oven I have no manuals for this maytag oven #mmv4205aaw thanks

Installing a new wall oven [ 1 Answers ]

We are upgrading to new appliances in our 60's something kitchen. The new wall oven has red,black, white and bare copper wires in the armored cable. My old oven only used black, white and bare copper. I assume the black and white are both hot. Should I connect these to the black and red at the...

View more questions Search