Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JimKen57 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2016, 09:38 AM
    Windows XP History / Repeat Password
    When changing my expired login password, using Windows XP, it won't let me reuse my same password. Says I can't due to previous history use. How can I get around this so I can re-use my password. Is there a way to set the password so it won't expire?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 27, 2016, 10:19 AM
    Do you know the number of passwords that have been stored and how long they are valid for ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 27, 2016, 06:36 PM
    Is this a stand alone PC or a machine on a LAN. The only time I've seen an expiration on a PC is if it is attached to a LAN. In which case, the no repeat policy is set by the LAN admins,
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2016, 11:19 AM
    If you can get to a command prompt, try this command (probably need to be run as administrator):
    net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited

Reference: https://www.microsoft.com/resources/....mspx?mfr=true

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jul 6, 2016, 06:03 AM
    If by chance your running XP Professional and have your disk (XP Home won't work) you can do a non-destructive reinstall of the OS where you re-enter your serial and pass during the repair. It should reset everything. But there are negatives about it. One is your system files are replaced with the ones on the disk so you lose all the critical updates that are not included on the disk. If your disk is SP3 or has been integrated with newer critical updates it would be a lot better for you when you go to get your updates to date (which in itself can be a hassle these days). If your disk is SP2 you can attempt to slipstream SP3 and the critical updates onto the disk but that is not a walk in the park. A non-destructive reinstall replaces all system files from the disk without effecting the installed programs or their registry settings as well as all your data. You can read about it on the Langda letters web site.

Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option - InformationWeek

You might also want to search some info on slipstreaming an XP disk and some of the sites that have collections of updates for you to integrate onto your disk. Basically you copy all the files from your disk to the hard drive and use commands to intregrate the new files to that folder and then make a new boot-able disk. There are also applications like nLite that simplify the process, but I don't know it they are still active or in use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Password history [ 12 Answers ]

I Would like to know how I can find my old passwords from my email acount. My password history?

Does history repeat its self [ 86 Answers ]

Hey my ex and I split about a month ago. Ive only had no contact since aug.18 She got together with another guy a week later after breaking up. She claims she met him a week prior but who knows if that is the truth. We have been off and on. Im trying to move on but in a way I'm trying to move...

Putting a Password so history can't be deleted [ 1 Answers ]

I like to keep a check on my teenage daughter and she has just learned to delete the history. Can I put a password on this so she can't? I would need step by step instruction:) Thanks, Maciaface

Why does history repeat with the following? [ 3 Answers ]

OK people I have witnessed some interesting behaviour on both sides of the sexes and I've lived through some of these situations on one side or the other but ultimately it's just left me wondering how different people answer some of these questions.. some of them are way way more heavily usually...

View more questions Search