Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2016, 07:54 AM
    Brake Job
    The little Toyota car needs brakes the front pads. Pep Boys has the package deal after rebate $69.00
    Tire plus charges beside the package, Clean lube and Adjust Brakes, Flush Brake system. Maybe Pep boy does the same thing. Tire Plus wants $293.00 for the front wheels. Car has $80,000 miles. Wonder what the better deal is?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2016, 09:22 AM
    Read carefully. Pads installed- I will tell you they will certainly push you to resurface the rotors, rebuild the calipers and flush the brake system or tell you the warranty will not be good. Pad exchange for a DIY is very easy. Look on You Tube.
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2016, 09:36 AM
    Thanks
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 27, 2016, 08:34 PM
    ma0641 is correct. Unless you are currently having a brake pulsation or vibration, there is likely no need to resurface the rotors at this point.
    When installing the replacement pads, make certain that you clean the caliper pistons before moving them back to create clearance for the new pads.
    A brake fluid flush is considered preventative maintenance above and beyond the normal pad replacement. Same thing with cleaning and adjusting the rear brakes: not required.
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2016, 03:40 AM
    This is great advice.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 28, 2016, 05:39 AM
    The best deal is just getting what you need, and not the add on stuff for extra. If there was no grinding noise other than the whistling noise of the low pad indicator, or no funny feeling when you engage the brake pedal, then why spend for unneeded extras?

I guess it comes down to at what stage you decided you needed front brakes. Did you take the tires off and inspect your brakes with a good light yourself? Check fluids and look for leaks? Such a simple thing would let you KNOW just what you needed, and not be at the mercy of mechanics trying to make money off the unknowledgeable, with expensive add on unneeded stuff.

Helps greatly to be able to TELL a mechanic what you WANT and get just that as opposed to the sales pitch for extra stuff.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2016, 01:43 PM
    It's a good idea to change the brake fluid every two years, in order to eliminate water, rust, and other crud from the system. If you don't do this regularly, it can cost you big bucks in the long-run; i.e., the calipers and wheel cylinders will need to be replaced. This is the secret to trouble-free brakes. I've never had to replace the calipers, master cylinder, or wheel cylinders on my 1993 Civic or 2000 Duratec Taurus, because I change the fluid every 2 years. I would go for premium ceramic pads, not cheap pads. Also, make sure the caliper pins are cleaned and lubricated with silicone grease. The best deal depends on how long you expect to keep the car and the braking performance you expect.
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2016, 03:15 PM
    Car has been so great Toyota Echo 85,000 I can't remember if I had brake work done very low maintenance car. But I hear the scraping now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brake Job [ 8 Answers ]

2003 Toyota Echo is running good. My son ask me when he should replace brake pads. Car has 72,500 miles. It had Semi Met Pads front only put on 2003, with 43,977. So now it has 28,523 miles on them. Brakes seem good to me. Driving is very limited only to do chores. What do you think?

Brake job 3 months ago [ 1 Answers ]

Got a brake job 3 months ago. Now its doing the same thing I took it in there for. Help me out

Brake job fair price [ 4 Answers ]

I wonder what is a fair price is for a brake job. On a 2003 Toyota echo. Even just the front pads for material and labor. Hollywood, Florida. I was lucky this time pepboys charged me $183.00 for the front pads and rear shoes. I do not know, if they resurfaced the rotors or not. Thanks for...

Bad brake job [ 7 Answers ]

I am new to this site so any comments would be greatly appreciated. I took my old 96 Mustang to a dealer ship last Wednesday to have my back brakes fixed. I drive a stick shift car so these type of cars are notorious for rolling back on hills. I only instructed them to fix my back brakes not the...

Have Class B CDL (HAZ, AIr Brake,Tanker) Need Job but have Felony. [ 1 Answers ]

I have Straight Truck Experience and the endorsements listed in the title. I live in KCMO area. Anyone need a driver?

View more questions Search