Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Suresh99 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2016, 03:44 AM
    Spring usage in engine
    Is it possible to use an spring underneath the piston of an engine so that it moves with high velocity than that of the movement of crank shaft after the suction and compression strokes and thus prpvide ore power and reduce the fuel consumption
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 26, 2016, 05:53 AM
    I think you have answered your own question. A free floating piston can not provide "suction" on its own. That is why you have a crank style system even in rotary engines. With compression stroke the spring would help but with the vacuum portion there would be no kinetic energy to drive the piston down to create vacuum.
    Suresh99 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2016, 06:39 AM
    Is that the rotational motion of crank shaft that leads the piston of an engine to move upward after coming down?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 26, 2016, 07:36 AM
    Yes.
    The explosion above the piston helps drive it down too.
    A spring would need an opposite action to drive it down before it helps drive a piston up.
    Having a series of pistons alternating on a crankshaft adds something, although mostly it smooths out the rattle.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 26, 2016, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Suresh99 View Post
    Is that the rotational motion of crank shaft that leads the piston of an engine to move upward after coming down?
    Yes, because a crank by its nature is offset. The offset is what provides the stroke of the motor.

Here ae some examples you can see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9tfIfwlmz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA_19bHxEYg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hyundia Sonato 2004, engine starts, idles, orange engine comes on, engine cuts out [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there Hyundia Sonato 2004. The engine starts up as normal, goes to idle, then after about 20 seconds the orange engine alarm comes on and the engine immediately cuts out. It was suggested that I disconnect the battery and then after reconnecting try again. This did not solve the problem....

JD L111 w/ 38" mower engine drive belt idler pulley spring [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Clarke, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachments/tools-power-equipment/24130d1251907949-john-deere-111-mower-belt-diagram-jd38oldeck.gif It's the BOTTOM spring in this pic. I can't find a part # even at JD online. If nothing else, the dimensions would be helpful. Thank you! Steve

a spring with a spring constant k= 2 n/m is used to project a mass around a loop of r [ 1 Answers ]

a spring with a spring constant k= 2 n/m is used to project a mass around a loop of radius R= 2m. To what minimum distance Xmin must the spring be compressed for the object to go around the loop without falling off ?

The spring in the Swingline 113 did not spring back after stapling. [ 0 Answers ]

The spring on the Swingline 113 (also very very old) did not spring back to the ready position after stapling. There is no staple jam. I oiled what I could, thinking it might help. I have not unscrewed anything... yet. Thanks, Gloria

You make a spring wave with a wavelength of 1.5m. You Shake the spring with a frequen [ 1 Answers ]

You make a spring wave with a wavelength of 1.5m. You Shake the spring with a frequency of 2hz. The speed of the wave is (you have to slove it or fill in the blank I don't get it T.T HELP)

View more questions Search