Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2016, 05:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Farber View Post
    I have tried other things, but just can't do anything. I can't do theater because I suck at acting, I can't do science or math because that's way out of my mental league, I can't do art or music because I just don't have those skills, and I can't do sports because I'm extremely nonathletic. Looks like I'll just be living under a bridge when I get kicked out of college (because honestly, there's no way I'm passing)
    You have to realise that despite it's bad press Accounting is science, it is a social science, and the second oldest profession, it isn't a retreat for those who can't get it together in other endeavours. To study accounting you have to apply yourself to think about things in a different way, your everyday understandings just don't apply in most instances. You have to convert social interactions into financial terms and classify these transactions in diverse ways
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 14, 2016, 05:16 AM
    One other point about Accounting. There are standards and rules that are governed by international standards organizations. These rules ensure that financial reporting is consistent and that audits can be done. So Accountants need to learn those standards and rules.
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2016, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    You have to realise that despite it's bad press Accounting is science, it is a social science, and the second oldest profession, it isn't a retreat for those who can't get it together in other endeavours. To study accounting you have to apply yourself to think about things in a different way, your everyday understandings just don't apply in most instances. You have to convert social interactions into financial terms and classify these transactions in diverse ways
    I am aware, that's why I'm desperately trying to make this concept not as elusive for me as it is now. I really do want to understand it but just can't really grasp it. It isn't really so much I chose it as a retreat. It's just that if I don't do accounting, there's really nowhere else to turn to.
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2016, 07:26 PM
    One of the first things you have to understand is that you are seeing things from a different perspective. A set of accounts doesn't just record transactions, it classifies them according to certain legal intrepretations. This is why a study of accounting also embraces a study of commercial, corporations and taxation law.
    You cannot drop into the middle of an accounting course from a great height as it were, the training of accountants once included the working through a copious number of exercises from the simplist structures and arrangements to the most complex embracing multiple related corporations. College or university accounting courses give you the bare bones and expect you will search out the detail for yourself
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 14, 2016, 08:34 PM
    Get off the internet and get a tutor. Or use it to get some online tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o07uKDMx4fw

When looking for a vocation or career, then start with what you like, have interests in, or have a skill that can be developed. What year are you in this "college"? What kind of math background do you have?

You really should be talking to your instructor, or the academic adviser at the school you are at, to at least find out WHY you flunked this exam, or get a much better approach to this class. If there is nothing left but accounting, then you should try vocational training, or get into a trade apprenticeship for a way to be gainfully employed later in life.

Obviously you are stuck in the terminology of accounting and your lousy study habits are just as obvious. You want easy, flip burgers, stock shelves or sell clothes. No degrees necessary and you will not have to live under a bridge, plus its HONEST (hard) work if not glamorous.

What kind of experience do you have from high school? I know, not what you asked, but like the others from the way you have framed your questions and responses you are definitely LOST!

Try a tutor!!
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2016, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Get off the internet and get a tutor. Or use it to get some online tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o07uKDMx4fw

When looking for a vocation or career, then start with what you like, have interests in, or have a skill that can be developed. What year are you in this "college"? What kind of math background do you have?

You really should be talking to your instructor, or the academic adviser at the school you are at, to at least find out WHY you flunked this exam, or get a much better approach to this class. If there is nothing left but accounting, then you should try vocational training, or get into a trade apprenticeship for a way to be gainfully employed later in life.

Obviously you are stuck in the terminology of accounting and your lousy study habits are just as obvious. You want easy, flip burgers, stock shelves or sell clothes. No degrees necessary and you will not have to live under a bridge, plus its HONEST (hard) work if not glamorous.

What kind of experience do you have from high school? I know, not what you asked, but like the others from the way you have framed your questions and responses you are definitely LOST!

Try a tutor!!
    I've tried a tutor, that's actually one of the first things I did. He couldn't even help me! He said I was "Unteachable". Don't know whether it's funny or sad, but he said I had "Too Many Questions".
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 16, 2016, 10:56 AM
    Try another one! What other choice do you have?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 18, 2016, 10:51 PM
    I've tried a tutor, that's actually one of the first things I did. He couldn't even help me! He said I was "Unteachable". Don't know whether it's funny or sad, but he said I had "Too Many Questions".
    There's no such thing as too many questions, but, when you're in college, if you're asking basic questions you should know the answer to, that someone in high school would know the answer to, than yes, you may not be able to learn accounting, and that tutor may well be right. You have to at least have a very basic knowledge of math, and accounting, before you take accounting in college. What year of college are you in?

I find it very hard to believe that accounting is the only thing that you have left, especially since you don't seem to be good at it, according to what you wrote. Not trying to discourage you, but I do have to ask, do you even like accounting? Most people like things that they're good at, things that come easy to them, things they can excel at. You don't seem to even understand the basics, and it won't get easier, it will only get harder, so why did you choose accounting?

What interests do you have? Is there anything you're good at? There has to be something. I think you're trying to get some pity by saying that accounting is the only option you have left. I highly doubt you've explored every option available. If accounting is this difficult for you, and all you have are questions, and you word them the way you worded this one, which doesn't elicit the answers you need, then I would really reconsider accounting as a career.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2016, 09:40 AM
    Looking at all the things you don't want to do because of your admitted short come makes me wonderwhy you don't consider a trade. On second thought maybe you could run for political office!!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2016, 10:47 AM
    I'm a firm believe in people should have an aptitude for the trade they wish to work in. You can only be taught so much, you have to be able to fill in the gaps and learn any new stuff on your own.

Not everyone is cut out for everything. Example...I'm not cut out for writing programming code.

Yes I can do it, yes I did learn how to do some of it...but it doesn't come naturally to me and have to work way too hard to do it.

But I can easily troubleshoot and fix a faulty machine from Mainframes down to the smallest PC.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2016, 03:58 PM
    I have just corresponded with you a few times and I formed a similar opinion, what it takes is a step by step approach whereas you seem to have arrived somewhere in the middle. Accounting requires great dilligence and acceptance of the rules which have been laid down over centuries and which are known to work. Where you become creative is what you do with the information you have. The why is it so approach doesn't fit because the answer is often this is how it is, get used to it, get over it and move on. If you want to study accounting you have to start at the beginning, there are two classes of transactions a debit and a credit and the credit column is always the one closest to the window

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Loan payments [ 3 Answers ]

Is it againist the law to stop payment on a electronic draft for an unsecured cash loan. One of thoses deals where u get $800 put in your account , then they hit you for $120 draft twice a month forever , this was all done email. I want to stop the drafts with enough money in to cover so they can't...

Loan Payments [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and I appreciate any help you offer. I just want to make sure I am correct because I read into things and confuse myself even more! Here goes: If you take out an $8000 car loan that calls for 48 monthly payments at an APR of 10%, what is the monthly...

View more questions Search