Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2016, 07:22 AM
    Firestick/Roku/Chromecast?
    Anyone have any experience and opinion on pros and cons of various options? Looking to ditch the cable. I've looked at various reviews, but wanted to hear from people I "know" :-)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 26, 2016, 06:09 AM
    I have a Roku. I like it for what it is. But it is not the panacea that many make it out to be. As with most of these there are limitations. Most of them require "apps" that you subscribe to via the device. Some apps are a pay subscription like Netflix. Also your provider of internet services may have limits so your service may be throttled (cut back to a slower mode) or have extra charges attached if you go over your limit. All in all the experience has been a good one and the picture quality is excellent. They even have an app to steam from your phone directly to the device which in turn can be displayed onto your tv.

Research is your best friend. Some apps only allow some providers access so you can stream their programing. Look carefully and see what it out there for your area and provider. Apps like Syfy have the content but it is provider specific. So check on registration before you buy to ensure you get a great experience.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 26, 2016, 10:23 AM
    I have a Chromecast. It is just what it is - a small USB that fits into a USB slot on the TV and is used wirelessly from your computer. It doesn't come with anything. It can cast what is on your computer, or what you select from a service you subscribe to like Netflix. An HDMI cable does the same thing.

I had problems for almost a year that I blamed on Comcast, but they were in the Chromecast, which I had plugged into the computer at both ends the way I was told. Turns out that screwed up tv reception. Had to be plugged into a power strip that had a USB port.

I have minimal cable but keep it because I'm lazy and often snooze in front of the tv with the remote, rather than having to go to my computer.
    Certainly more and more tv channels are now on the net, some of them in real time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chromecast to Composite Cable TV [ 4 Answers ]

I want to hook up my old SONY WEGA Projection TV to Chromecast so I can run itunes downloads and Netflex movie downloads on the HDTV. I have been told that I can connect the Chromecast to an "HDMI to Composite Cable (yellow,red,white) Converter Adapter" and then connect my TV with composite cables...

ROKU Netflix Streaming [ 4 Answers ]

My picture keeps going purple after working perfectly for many months. The online help said to disconnect and re-connect. It worked. Today it isn't working. Why? What can I do?

Can roku be used on any TV? [ 2 Answers ]

I have older style TV's that have cable and A/V inputs, that's it, (not flat screens). The newest one is about 5 years old I think. Can I use roku with these TV's? If so, will I need to buy anything special to hook things up?

Roku through direct TV dvr? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best way to hook a roku box up to my system? All audio runs through my sony receiver to the speakers (I don't use tv's sound) current components: sony str-de998 (tuner) sony dvp-cs985v (cd/dvd player) go.video dvr 4100 (dvd and vhs player) direct tv's H-22-100 (dvr) panasonic...

View more questions Search