Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tealikedays Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2016, 11:22 AM
    Pronounce ô
    Hello! Okay I don't really know how to word this question so I'm going to try the best I can. Haha, all right so my second name is Cleōne. With the hyphen over the o vowel. Well, I was always told that it was a French name. And I am pretty sure it's Greek. But anyway, if I did want it to sound/look more French and contain a long O sound Would I change the ō in Cleōne to ô or ö? Or would I not even use an accent? Also, would I add the vowel é with that accent mark to é in my second name? I am sorry I'm terrible at trying to explain my question. But my middle name is pronounced like Kleh-Oan. I did look at some French names and looked up online that the long O doesn't always need an accent too. It's all rather confusing to me.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2016, 06:39 PM
    You can pronounce it anyway you want. You don't need a diacritical mark at all. Even words derived from other languages have changed. In Spanish, they word canon with a tilde over the first n ( I can't insert one on this keyboard) had been replaced with an ny, canyon.
    tealikedays Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2016, 11:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    You can pronounce it anyway you want. You don't need a diacritical mark at all. Even words derived from other languages have changed. In Spanish, they word canon with a tilde over the first n ( I can't insert one on this keyboard) had been replaced with an ny, canyon.
    Thank you so much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How would you pronounce donqk? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I could really use your help. How would you pronounce donqk? Thanks a lot

How to pronounce Banal [ 5 Answers ]

I'm having an argument with my boyfriend: I pronounce banal to rhyme with anal and he says banal to rhyme with canal. Which one is the correct English pronoucation and which one is more Americanised? So how do you say it and where do you come from?

How does one pronounce "mehndi" [ 0 Answers ]

Mehndi -- henna

How do you pronounce 'advertisement'? [ 10 Answers ]

Dictionary.com lists two pronunciations for 'advertisement': Ad-ver-tahyz-muhnt, ad-vur-tis-muhnt And I can't find whether (or which) one is american, or british or canadian Anyone know? Thx!

How do you pronounce didj? [ 1 Answers ]

It's a new leapster game. My bro has it and I don't know how the hell to pronounce it

View more questions Search