Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gdsov Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2016, 07:32 AM
    Good midsize breed for children and strangers?
    What breed/mixture recommendations can you all offer? We plan to look in shelters for an already house trained dog 1-3 years old.

Our environment:
    -suburban home, fenced yard (~25x30 sf) outside Philadelphia
    -3 children, ages 15, 12, 9
    -no other pets in home
    -someone is usually home throughout the day
    -we work with college students and host them several nights per week (the same students, not different ones every week). Usually the size is 5-15, but our house is FULL on Thursday nights. We can keep the dog upstairs during that time.
    -there is a nearby dog run

Dog wishlist:
    -SHORT HAIR
    -under 40 lbs fully grown (our yard isn't big enough for a larger dog)
    -playful but non-aggressive
    -not needing tons of exercise
    -not known for barking (I'm told beagles are notorious barkers)

I'm partial to a lab mix, if possible. If you could put a lab temperament into a beagle body, we'd be set.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 21, 2016, 07:58 AM
    My preference to your specifications would be standard Schnauzer. Intelligent, loyal, doesn't bark, playful, quiet, good with kids and other people. I have had four of this breed and have enjoyed their intelligence and company immensely.

They are a terrier breed, no shedding and as in all terrier breeds were used during the first world war as messengers between the lines. I doubt though that you will find one in a shelter, but you could ask.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 21, 2016, 10:11 AM
    Labs and goldens certainly have the temperament you want, but are going to be over 40 lbs. They do need plenty of exercise.

Since you are going to shelters, all or most all are going to be mixed breed anyway, so temperament will be very individual. Some will have been abused. Some will have been given up for being hyper or aggressive, such as biting children or other pets, or anyone. Some will have been poorly socialized, and will need tons of patience that you need to ask yourself if you have.

Get the help of the staff about all this, about each dog they have. It's not really a general question for the internet, unless you will be buying a breed dog.
    With a puppy, people suggest turning it on it's back to rub it's tummy, and gauging how compliant or resistant it is to that.
    With a 1-3 year old, sit with the dog a bit, check out shyness vs eagerness, and then take it outside, and check it all again, and take plenty of time. With help about age, size, history, blend of breeds, and what you see in front of you, make a decision.

And THANK YOU!
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 21, 2016, 02:05 PM
    I love Beagles! They love people, and they don't spend their day barking when they have enough attention. They are excellent with children, don't need grooming, and are not big dogs. I vote for Beagles. I've had one in my life since I was born, and our current Beagle is not a barker at all.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2016, 10:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Labs and goldens certainly have the temperament you want, but are going to be over 40 lbs. They do need plenty of exercise.
    My Chocolate Lab and my Golden Retriever as well as my Lab/Husky mix many years ago ALL shed quite a bit and required ongoing grooming to keep the shedding to a manageable amount. Size wise, as Joypulv said, they will be well over 40 lbs. and do require LOTS of exercise. They are working dogs.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2016, 10:45 PM
    I can think of a few breeds that would meet your needs. Some have a bit longer hair, but require little grooming and have minimal shedding.

1. Brittany Spaniel;
    2. American Water Spaniel;
    3. Welsh Corgi;
    4. Skye Terrier;
    5. German Pinscher
    6. Afghan
    7. Cocker Spaniel

Hope one of these appeals to you! Research each of the breeds to see which one(s) best suit your needs/requirements. If you are getting a dog from a rescue or shelter, please understand that a lot of dogs may not be the breed indicated... especially if they are pups. A lot of time the staff just guess at what they might be! :)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 22, 2016, 01:26 AM
    Our first rescue from a shelter started at about 9 weeks weighing almost a pound, had tiny little paws, and looked just like a Manchester Terrier. We were in an apartment at the time and figured a toy breed would be perfect. For three years every vet visit had him doubling in size and weight until he was 22 inches at the shoulder, weighed in at 60 pounds, and had a beautiful long black coat textured like an Irish setter's. Pound puppies will fool you.

For your situation you might look into the Non-Sporting breeds, such as Schnauzers like Tickle suggested or English Bulldogs.

Any dog can be a loudmouth or quiet, depending on how you raise them. There are non barking breeds such as the Basenji but most of them are more active than you say you're looking for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog breed debate. Purebred or Designer breed? [ 20 Answers ]

Since this debate started in another thread, I thought I'd start a new thread to allow members to continue discussing this topic, without continuing to hijack another thread. :) The debate on what makes a dog purebred has been going on for a long time. I'm not the best to explain this, but I'll...

Strangers who want you to change because you're different, Why they are mean? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm a quiet person.. There's naggy women who keep saying "why are you so quiet.. say something" I'm a stranger adult and they're adults.. But why they treat me like a kid. I'm just a quiet person . Why do they want to shape me. I'm not even related to them, and they treat me like a kid. I...

Which dog breed is a good one [ 21 Answers ]

I am 23 and looking for a large dog as a guardian and companion. I do not like small dogs at all and would like muscle and intelligence. However I have two cats and a newborn. I like Rots, german shepards, dobermans, and boxers. Which breed is a good one for children but still has muscle and a...

Car rides with strangers [ 5 Answers ]

So I have this neighbor. It's actually two, a man and his wife. Both are very nice, very friendly, but I don't really know them. In fact, my family knows them, but I've never personally been introduced to them. I'm walking down the road to my home from my friend's house; I'm about a block from...

Strangers as roommates [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there. I'm just moving to a city about 200km from where I am now. I don't have any contacts in the new city so I've resorted to searching online for apartments and roommates. I've chatted quite a few potential roommates and finally found one guy who actually seems normal and reliable. :p We...

View more questions Search