Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisasawyers1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2016, 01:13 PM
    Caregiver being kicked out
    I lived with my aunt in a senior/disabled apartment as her caregiver. She died , my ex girlfriend was on the waiting list . She got my aunts apartment , So she moved into my already furnished apt, I am also listed as her caregiver . I pay half if not most of the bills. Everything in the apartment belongs to me and my aunt . My ex has only clothing and a few random things. Can she kick me out without notice ? And how can I get all my things if she changes the locks ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 17, 2016, 01:48 PM
    If she is the leaseholder, then you are either classified as a roommate or, worse, an employee. As either you have very few rights. If classified as an employee, you can be terminated at any time. You would then have to get a court to allow you to recover your belongings. Even as a roommate, you would be considered her tenant and she can terminate that tenancy at any time depending on local laws (Note: any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.). '

I would strongly suggest that you put together a video of all your belongings with proof of ownership. Then store that video and proofs off premises (i.e. a safe deposit box).
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 17, 2016, 02:35 PM
    She may not change the locks. If she does, you can have to police go with you there to tell her so, and let you in.
    But you can't sit around a minute longer. At the least, hire a mover and put everything of yours in storage.
    CARRY with you at all times paperwork regarding your aunt's death, some utility bills, etc., to prove your status to enough extent for the police.
    Some of this depends on when your aunt died, and how her estate (possessions, money, etc) was handled.
    If she had no money and there was no probate, and her furnishings were all she had, then it seems reasonable that unless other relatives want to claim them as her closer kin under state law, they are yours.
    You are in a bit of a gray area though. Your ex might try to claim that you are now trespassing, that you should have been out by a certain date. You don't give us any of that timeline.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 17, 2016, 03:44 PM
    As I read this, OP's aunt was the tenant. Then, when the aunt died, OP's ex moved in and declared (as had the aunt) OP as the ex's caregiver. Thus OP appears to have been employed by the ex as a caregiver. Now the ex is kicking the OP out.

If this is the situation, and OP was never a tenant (as far as the landlord is concerned, but instead always an employee of the tenants) the landlord is within his or her rights to have the ex change the locks (in behalf of the landlord).

OP should ask the police if they will assist her to recover her things. If they refuse, OP will need to get a court order.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 17, 2016, 03:52 PM
    AK lawyer, the ex was on the waiting list to get the senior/disabled apartment, and got it after the aunt died.

[edit - I agree the rest of you are right]
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 17, 2016, 04:20 PM
    I agree with AK here. The OP appears to be an employee of the tenant of the unit. Previously it was the OP's aunt and now its her ex girlfriend. So the OP appears to be an employee. Which would mean she doesn't have the rights of a tenant. Which means she could be locked out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caregiver [ 1 Answers ]

This is a riddle to me... could you help me sort it out? Man with serious health problems on disability at time of affair fathered child. He signed paternity acknowledgement papers. Child will be 20 (twenty) next month. She has drawn against his social security for 18 years - just shy of...

Fired caregiver [ 2 Answers ]

My mother recently fired a caregiver who was employee to take care of my grandmother ( she has Alzheimer ). The care giver has been increasingly verbally abusive not to my grandmother but my mother. One day when I was over I overheard her yelling at my mother for something and I had to intervene (...

Caregiver compensation [ 7 Answers ]

Since 2000 I have overseen my elderly mother's care. She is completely dependent on me. Have moved her more than once a year as she declined, bring her to my home a full day each week, take care of all dr appts etc, do finances. My sis, who lives in another state does not contribute or visit. In...

Caregiver in a will [ 2 Answers ]

My aunt had taken care of my grandmother from July 06 till jan 09,she worked full time the 1st yr,and also babysat her grand daughter the last 6 months. I am in Ontario canada. She and my brother are both executors to the will. She wants to make a claim against the will and knows she must step...

View more questions Search