Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2016, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Farber View Post
    Well, I would assume it means moving your inventory from one space or area to another, but then again, these accounting terms never mean what you'd think they mean, so I don't know.

I do understand English, I just don't know all this fancy-schmancy accounting terminology. Apparently I guess I have to recite the dictionary front and back in order to understand this

Good, one less person commenting "You're unteachable and shouldn't be an accountant" in the comment section. But of course I'm not cut out for accounting, especially if I'm getting answers like these.

For the love of God, apparently it's not that simple of a question, because 4 users replied and had answers that had nothing to do with the question. I assume it means to move your inventory from location A to location B but I doubt it. And before you call me an idiot or something equally stupid, I did read the definitions of the words "Movement" and "Inventory" and formed that conclusion. So my answer is just based off what the dictionary says those words mean.
    You are going to HATE accounting because you aren't going to be any good at it... and that's even if you can impress an employer enough to get a job much less keep it.

But then, some people need to waste huge amounts of their life and time trying to learn something that people with more aptitude in would pick up very easily. Before they come to the decision they made some bad choices.

Get snooty all you want..it doesn't change reality. I've seen a lot of people very much like you try to do the very same thing before they finally give up and waste years before trying to take up something totally different they are good at.

A stocky short guy with short legs isn't ever going to make it as a sprinter on a track team no mater how stubborn he might be or how much his heart is in it. If we wanted to be mean we would be...we are trying to get you to see reality before you waste too much more of your life.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2016, 11:51 PM
    It doesn't matter what we tell this guy he doesn't get it. Accountants are not bookkeepers, they are educated people. It took me six years of hard work to do the basic degree and extensions and I never failed a subject. I think what has let this person down is comprehension, he hasn't learned to understand more that basic concepts, hasn't learned to see wider meanings. An Accountant has to be able to listen and understand what anyone is saying
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2016, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    It doesn't matter what we tell this guy he doesn't get it. Accountants are not bookkeepers, they are educated people. It took me six years of hard work to do the basic degree and extensions and I never failed a subject. I think what has let this person down is comprehension, he hasn't learned to understand more that basic concepts, hasn't learned to see wider meanings. An Accountant has to be able to listen and understand what anyone is saying
    And I'm sure you have seen that some people have more of a natural talent working with numbers and certain concepts than other people have. I do agree with what you are saying, and expanding it even further. It doesn't imply dumb or uneducated, some of the people I saw that were the worst at programming were at the top of the class academically in an Engineering program (this is just an example). And just like ANY other thing.. unless you master something more basic, you are NOT prepared for anything more complex. Not everyone is cut out for just anything. Key is finding what you ARE good at.
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2016, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    You are going to HATE accounting because you aren't going to be any good at it... and that's even if you can impress an employer enough to get a job much less keep it.

But then, some people need to waste huge amounts of their life and time trying to learn something that people with more aptitude in would pick up very easily. Before they come to the decision they made some bad choices.

Get snooty all you want..it doesn't change reality. I've seen a lot of people very much like you try to do the very same thing before they finally give up and waste years before trying to take up something totally different they are good at.

A stocky short guy with short legs isn't ever going to make it as a sprinter on a track team no mater how stubborn he might be or how much his heart is in it. If we wanted to be mean we would be...we are trying to get you to see reality before you waste too much more of your life.
    So what you're telling me is I'm unable to learn? My mind is at it's fullest potential right now and can't expand now matter how hard I try? It just seems like that's what you're implying.

Aug 1, 2016, 03:00 PM
    I am aware an accountant isn't the same thing as a bookkeeper. And most of the simple/basic concepts are hard to grasp for me because a lot of teachers and writers make them not as simple by dropping fancy words (i.e. economical, inordinate, acquisition, compound interest, etc.) in the text or lesson. Now maybe with some definition or some explanation as to what the words mean, I'd be able to understand, but they don't give any. And sometimes I'll read a few finance texts/books and they might contradict each other. For instance, one book said that when you try to find cost per unit, you include principal and interest payments, and another said that you just include interest payments. Sorry if I come off as being snooty or difficult to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    And I'm sure you have seen that some people have more of a natural talent working with numbers and certain concepts than other people have. I do agree with what you are saying, and expanding it even further. It doesn't imply dumb or uneducated, some of the people I saw that were the worst at programming were at the top of the class academically in an Engineering program (this is just an example). And just like ANY other thing.. unless you master something more basic, you are NOT prepared for anything more complex. Not everyone is cut out for just anything. Key is finding what you ARE good at.
    First off, I'm just starting from the bottom/basic concepts. The main problem I have with comprehending them is because a lot of the explanations are vague and/or use terminology I don't understand at the level I'm at.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2016, 07:54 AM
    Allen the first principle is KISS, explanation; keep it simple stupid, why are you trying to use concepts like cost per unit when you haven't mastered the basics? I have a cost handbook which literally describes a large number of methods of determining cost per unit, these are advanced concepts. Those terms you used are all defined in a dictionary and accounting usage and understanding is not likely to be different. Remember the definition of accounting, it is a social science that measures and records the interaction between entities in financial terms. The operative words here are financial terms. If you can't put a dollar value on it we call it a contingency and consign it to the back of the cupboard. You must realise that you are dealing with higher learning and every profession has its own set of terminology. We do not describe things at grade school level. You are fortunate we don't use latin terms as the medical profession do. Don't pick from one text then another, get a text and follow it through from start to finish. You cannot study accounting by searching the net

Aug 2, 2016, 12:47 PM
    Allen the first principle is KISS, explanation; keep it simple stupid, why are you trying to use concepts like cost per unit when you haven't mastered the basics? I have a cost handbook which literally describes a large number of methods of determining cost per unit, these are advanced concepts. Those terms you used are all defined in a dictionary and accounting usage and understanding is not likely to be different. Remember the definition of accounting, it is a social science that measures and records the interaction between entities in financial terms. The operative words here are financial terms. If you can't put a dollar value on it we call it a contingency and consign it to the back of the cupboard. You must realise that you are dealing with higher learning and every profession has its own set of terminology. We do not describe things at grade school level. You are fortunate we don't use latin terms as the medical profession do. Don't pick from one text then another, get a text and follow it through from start to finish. You cannot study accounting by searching the net
    Although you don't recommend me to search on the net to learn accounting, to which I understand and agree to a certain extent, what about if I took an online course? Should I change to that or just stick with textbooks and stuff like that?
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2016, 04:08 PM
    I was under the impression you were doing a college course, any course you undertake you must follow step by step

Aug 3, 2016, 03:58 AM
    I was under the impression you were doing a college course, any course you undertake you must follow step by step
    I am but I do some research and studying in my free time
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 6, 2016, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Farber View Post
    I am but I do some research and studying in my free time
    But Allen, you're doing most of your learning, or attempting to understand what you're learning, online. Accounting is learned from books and classes, and doing. You really won't learn a lot online.

You're asking about basic things, and you're struggling with those basics, and we're struggling to help you because you also struggle to explain what you need help with.

My advise to you is to talk to your professor, tell him you're having trouble learning the concepts of accounting. Tell him you're struggling. Ask if he can recommend a tutor for you, because really, a person that can sit with you while you're doing your work, and then explain what you should be doing, is your best bet if you're bound and determined to stick on this course.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I will say this, at best I can see you as a bookkeeper. I really don't think you'll ever be a CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant), but this is the only thing you've decided you're any good at, so I do hope you succeed. In order to have any success at this, you need to tell your professors that you're struggling. You're paying a lot of money to go to college, and they're there to help you and teach you, so ask for the help, get the help, get a human tutor, someone that can sit with you and help you with the things you're struggling to grasp. That's really the only way I can see you having a snowball's chance in hell of reaching your goal.

I wish you all the best. Get offline, get help from the people you're paying to teach you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed costs are really variable. The more you produce, the smaller the unit cost of p [ 1 Answers ]

Fixed costs are really variable. The more you produce, the smaller the unit cost of production. Is this statement correct? Why or why not?

Total Unit product Cost & Overhead cost per unit [ 1 Answers ]

I need some help with trying to figure out how to calculate the overhead cost per unit. I have computed the Activity rate as well as the overhead applied for both products. The following is the info provided: Product / Direct Labor hours / annual prod. / total direct labor hours XR7 0.4DLHs per...

View more questions Search