Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    itssaurabh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2016, 01:37 PM
    L1 Visa Extension
    I am currently on Blanket L1A with following dates -
    Visa Expiry - Aug 2016 (still valid)
    I94 Expiry - Dec 2017
    My visa extension is in progress and company would be filing it before the expiry of Visa.
    My question is -
    > I have heard that USCIS allows visa extension to be filed up to only 6 months in advance. Is this a USCIS directive or requirement. All I could find on USCIS site is visa extension should be filed at least 45 days before I94 expiry.
    > Does this mean that USCIS will reject my visa extension as it will be 1.5 years before I94 expiry.
    > If I need to go back to my home country, will I need to get a fresh visa application filed before I can enter US again?
    Thanks in advance.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Jun 17, 2016, 01:22 AM
    There's no such thing as visa extension. A US visa is only for entering the US, and as such can only be gotten at a US consulate abroad. If you need to travel abroad and return after the expiration of your current visa, you would get a new visa before you return. The visa has absolutely nothing to do with your stay in the US. You might be thinking about Extension of Status.

Your status currently lasts until December 2017. There is no reason to apply for Extension of Status so far ahead of time.

Regardless of when your status expires or whether you do Extension of Status or not, if you need to leave the US and re-enter after August 2016, you will need to get a new US visa when you are abroad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

f1 us visa extension [ 0 Answers ]

My visa expires in june2013. I am coming to chennai in Jan2013.Can I extend ny visa then.where to apply and what documents required

Extension for Visa [ 0 Answers ]

My Thai wife and I , were married 3 weeks ago in the UK. She now wants to apply for 2 year extension so that she can take and pass the English test in readiness for permanent stay application. I have downloaded the relevant forms and it seems that the cost is £561. Yet the form itself seems to...

H1 visa extension [ 0 Answers ]

My name is Karim Nader. I have been on H1 visa since Sept 2009. I will be filling for an extension very soon. I have a question to ask: I have been paid less than what was stated in my H 1 filling documents because the company that I work for took a big financial loss in 2010. My concern is that...

Visa extension [ 0 Answers ]

My friend came here in 2010 on a spouse visa which was for 2 years but, her marriage was over in 3 months, she then moved out of her husbands house to her sisters. The divorce has been completed since and her visa is nearly finished, but there is an impending court case against her ex husband in...

View more questions Search