Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AllyDee1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2016, 11:38 AM
    What causes cash discrepancies and what reasons can a cashier be fired for?
    I am new to cashiering and I would like to do a good job at it. Could you list in bullet points as many causes of cash register overages and shortages as possible and as many reasons as possible for a cashier to be fired please? Much appreciated.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 9, 2016, 02:30 PM
    No bullets from me.
    TWO major categories (assuming the cash drawer is correct when you start): cashier error and short change artists.
    Cashier error depends on various factors, including whether or not the change to be given is calculated for you, how well you see both the number screen and the money, how well you count, and how easily distracted you get, especially if someone starts talking to you, or you hear someone mention a number.

When new, it doesn't hurt to fan out the bills in the change and announce the amount, and then announce the coin amount (handed out without counting though).

No way to give advice about what gets a cashier fired. Each employer is different. Some have a formula and some play it by ear, giving more leeway when you are new.
    You can be sure that they know when it's deliberate, because they know what the typical accidental discrepancies are like.
    With modern registers, there is NO REASON to be off more than a dollar a week.

An innocent mistake often happens when someone doesn't want a lot of coins in the change, and they are slow to tell you that they are going to give you something like $20.16 for a receipt that is $13.16. If that starts, stop in your tracks. Sometimes they have the change, sometimes they don't. But be prepared for anything. They might even give you 20.26, and you then give them 7.10. Get it? Rarely, you could get someone who insists, either by lying or being mistaken, that they gave you a larger bill than they did. It never hurts to leave the bigger bills across the drawer so you can show them what they handed you.

Short changing usually goes like this: you are handed a larger bill, then, just as you are making change, you are told that they didn't mean to give you that large a bill, and a flurry of hands moving money back and forth distracts you, and the artist gets both the smaller bills and the large one they handed you. That's why you never put the large bill in the slot until you have handed over all the change. You leave it across the drawer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 9, 2016, 08:39 PM
    I will just go to Cashier error, if you count the money property that is given to you, and give the correct change, there is seldom a issue with improper drawer count.

But normally everyone will have a few dollars over and/or under all the time.

Don't have any large 10, 20, 40 100 dollar issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discrepancies in child support payments from the agency [ 1 Answers ]

Currently I have an interstate case and there are multiple discrepancies regarding the child support agency in the state I reside in. I've confronted them regarding those matters and haven't got straight answers. I went through the complaint dept. and still nothing has been done to resolve issues...

Which cashier would you promote for a PT head-cashier position at a retail store? [ 20 Answers ]

A little about the job: Assists the Front End Supervisor in overseeing operations on the Front End including the Lot. Ensures Cashiers and Lot Associates provide customers with fast, friendly, accurate and safe service. Positions Cashiers and supports them by expediting price checks, approving...

How would I write a program that allow a cashier to cash orders using a batch file? [ 0 Answers ]

how would I write a program that allow a cashier to take the orders placed by customers, calculate the total cost and simulate the printing of a receipt by displaying the order information? it is to be done with a batch file, I have tried this so far @echo off color 5 echo Please Enter...

Unlawfully fired due to medical reasons? [ 6 Answers ]

Recently, I have been fired from a job that I held for three and half years. I had requested medical leave in order to have surgery to remove a large tumor, requesting a six week absence. Complications arose two and half weeks after the surgery, which resulted in not one but two more surgeries in...

Discrepancies in lease make it invalid [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1 year lease for student housing which I am trying to vacate. I have found a discrepancy on the lease: On the first page, there is an amortization column with a total at the bottom for the 12 month lease. On the second page, there is a blank for writing in the total amount for 12...

View more questions Search